Forum upgrade completed

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Forum upgrade completed

Post by rjlittlefield »

The forum is now up and running on phpBB 3.3.0 .

I have written very brief instructions for image uploading, at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 20&t=41917 .

I expect that there'll be some problems -- I just have no idea what they'll be.

Please let me know, gently. :)

--Rik

pierre

Re: Forum upgrade completed

Post by pierre »

Hello Rik,

Nice to see the site again :)
I works fine for me (Firefox /win10)
Regards

Pierre

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Looking very good. Quite a visual update - no longer looks like it's wearing a tank-top, flared jeans and platform shoes! :D

Image upload fails for me (Chrome on Windows 10 Pro). The upload appears to take place with both drag and drop and "add files" but then I get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to the filename. It doesn't show in the preview but I can't find out what it doesn't like (images are below limits etc). I've saved a draft and will check again this evening.

Thanks for all the efforts Rik, and good luck with the "snagging"...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:11 am
Quite a visual update - no longer looks like it's wearing a tank-top, flared jeans and platform shoes! :D
Hmph! As it happens, I'm quite fond of tank-tops, flared jeans, and platform shoes. All the new fashions are just passing fads. (I do note with amusement the latest trend toward "flat" GUI's that don't have those cute 3D shadow effects that people thought were so very effective when they first came out.)
Image upload fails for me (Chrome on Windows 10 Pro). The upload appears to take place with both drag and drop and "add files" but then I get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to the filename. It doesn't show in the preview but I can't find out what it doesn't like (images are below limits etc). I've saved a draft and will check again this evening.
I have no idea what's going on here. I have never encountered the yellow triangle. I can tell you that as of this moment, the only file in the new software's upload area is my own, the screen capture referenced in the image hosting thread.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Found it Rik. "Cannot add another attachment, maximum is 0" - In Studio macro part.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I appear to have a phantom inbox notification that doesn't want to go away. Other than that I am digging it so far.

JW

Post by JW »

Looks great Rik, thanks for all the hard work. So far no problems or issues (except remembering my two-letter user name in order to log in, 'senior moment' I suppose)
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:36 am
Found it Rik. "Cannot add another attachment, maximum is 0" - In Studio macro part.
Fixed, I think. Please try again.

Edited to add explanation as follows...

A bunch of the upload limits have 0=unlimited.

However, A) attachment counts are not among those, B) the limits apparently do not apply to administrators, and C) the demotestforum still had its limits set to default, which were non-zero but too small.

So, I caused this problem when I noticed the small limits in the real forum and set them to zero, thinking that was removing them. Then I did not discover the error because after the change I did my upload from a privileged account.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:55 am
I appear to have a phantom inbox notification that doesn't want to go away. Other than that I am digging it so far.
I looked into this.

It seems that in phpBB, notifications that have been read will automatically disappear after some non-zero amount of time. There is no way to explicitly make them disappear.

The default amount of time is 30 days, which to me is a ridiculously long time to keep being reminded of things that I already know about.

So, I changed that setting to be 1 day. From what I've read so far, that actually means 1 day plus up to 4 hours for a chron job to run. I guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon whether it actually works that way.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am
Beatsy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:36 am
Fixed, I think. Please try again.
All works fine - and looks gorgeous. Love the new layout and gfx, especially on mobile. Thanks Rik!

grgh

Post by grgh »

Hi Rik
No trouble running on Apple Imac Safari.
All looks well, navigation very good.
Well done and thank you for all the work and hours.

George...grgh
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 am
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:55 am
I looked into this. . . .
I also had such a phantom notification, but it went away when I clicked "Mark All Messages Read."

As to the new look and feel, I echo Rik's "Hmph!" To me, the visual changes are unpleasantly disorienting. This said, I'm well aware that Rik went to considerable lengths to keep things as consistent as possible.

--Chris S.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ah, well, my "Hmph!" was intended as humor. :wink:

I certainly understand and sympathize with disorientation. I was able to fix a few issues that seemed unnecessarily jarring -- things like far different icons that to my eye gave no clue what they meant, and without even any text to explain them. But fixing those large problems still left a myriad of small changes, like where things appear on the page, that would have been totally impractical to make consistent with the old forum.

On the bright side, the disorientation will go away, and for me, at least, when that happened I started liking the new format quite a lot.

--Rik

pierre

Post by pierre »

:) I quite emphasize with Rik regarding the old color.
Anyway, the site look nice and work fine.

Thanks for your great work Rik !
8)
Regards

Pierre

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Oh, don't mind me, I've been a curmudgeon since before I was two. When favorite magazines, newspapers, Websites, and fora have changed format, I've disliked the change in every single instance, without exception--so I was prepared to have my standard reaction to our very necessary forum upgrade.

As you say, with time, the bother abates. . . somewhat!

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic