Out of Macrophotography for the Time Being

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Looks like I'm moving back in today. I go to pick up the keys in a couple of hours.

The living room window is now a sliding bathroom window in a sheet of plywood.

At one point I was supposed to move across the hall, but they gave it to one of the tenants who got burned completely out. That wouldn't be an issue except that he's not all there (I heard him threatening somebody while I was cleaning up). The landlord had at the same time raised the possibility of me moving to one of their properties in the next town over (Lakewood). I will probably go that route if the rent doesn't go up too much.

The condo on fire:

What the condo looks like now:

What my place looks like now (my unit is blocked by the trailer):

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Update:

I just got a phone call from the landlord. I have to move ASAP. The construction company that's rebuilding the destroyed units won't allow occupancy during construction, so EVERYBODY has to move.

Don't know where I'm going or when and have TONS of books to move, so no photography of ANY kind for the foreseeable future.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Looks like it was just a couple of car lengths away from you..

Hope you get a place to settle soon. I imagine your landlord will have a list of displaced people to answer, including those who lost everything.

Not fun - keep us informed how it goes?
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:Looks like it was just a couple of car lengths away from you..

Hope you get a place to settle soon. I imagine your landlord will have a list of displaced people to answer, including those who lost everything.

Not fun - keep us informed how it goes?
Pretty much. It wasn't EXTREMELY close, but the heat was so intense it broke the living room window.

There are between twelve and twenty people who need to move, depending upon who hasn't already moved out.

I started looking last week, but didn't find out we HAD to move until about 4:00pm this afternoon.

My best friend here's a lawyer and we'll be putting in a claim against the owner of the destroyed condo for moving expenses ASAP. There's no reason for me to eat that.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Sorry to hear all this. Hang in there.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Got a new place. High rise apartment. Lot of opportunities for long range photography. Moving in in a couple of weeks.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Finished boxing the books in the living room last night. 37 boxes.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Sorry to hear Deanimator. Stay sane my friend.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

View from the new apartment:

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

abpho wrote:Sorry to hear Deanimator. Stay sane my friend.
Books came out to at least 50+ boxes. Boxing up shooting stuff now. Boxed up seldom worn clothes.

There's light at the end of the tunnel, likely a huge Soviet era steam engine...

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Looks like a great location (except maybe traffic induced vibration) with lots of access within walking distance.

Good luck and stay safe.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:Looks like a great location (except maybe traffic induced vibration) with lots of access within walking distance.

Good luck and stay safe.

Best,
Thanks. The floors seem pretty solid, much more so than the old place.

On the plus side, I can practically throw a rock and hit a used book store and Harbor Freight.

On the downside, there isn't a single new book store in town. On the other hand, I'm about halfway between Books-A-Million (local to me now) and Barnes & Noble.

The irony is that you can't spit without hitting a restaurant... all of which are closed.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Glad you're getting settled. The trees will look better soon.
Is that Cleveland off in the distance?
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote:Glad you're getting settled. The trees will look better soon.
Is that Cleveland off in the distance?
Sure is. It never gets much clearer from this distance, but still an interesting view.

The movers are bringing in the big stuff right now. This time the table's going to have a room of its own.

I've been sick (not corona) for a few days. Worrying about this move has kept me up. I don't think I got an hour's sleep last night. I spent most of the night clearing a path for the movers. A friend gave me a lot of help packing, but stacked a bunch of stuff that would have impeded the movers.

As soon as the movers are done, I'm taking the equipment back to the old cable company (I had to switch), then collapsing on the bed, with or without sheets.

The old apartment was an absolute pit, but I was moving halfway across the state and needed a place on very short notice.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Deanimator wrote:The irony is that you can't spit without hitting a restaurant... all of which are closed.
Don't spit. It Canada that is a chargeable offence because of the Cronavirus and could land you in jail. :/.

Glad you found something this quickly.

Cheer!S
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic