Going to "first unread post"

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

btschumy

Going to "first unread post"

Post by btschumy »

In most other forums I frequent, when you go to a thread it either automatically takes you to the first unread post, or there is a button to go there. I can't find anything like that here.

If you have a thread that spans many pages, how do you pick up where you last left off reading? Surely I'm just missing something obvious.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The button you want is presented as a small orange "pointer to page" icon in front of the subject line:

This facility works when you are logged in and have cookies enabled. Anything that causes a logout or loss of cookies will cause the icon to go away.

On the main index page, forums containing threads with unread posts are indicated by their icon being orange. But that icon is never clickable -- it's just an indicator.

--Rik

btschumy

Post by btschumy »

Thank you Rik! That's pretty subtle. The fact that I generally read this forum on an iPad where you can't hover over icons to read a tool tip makes finding things like this doubly difficult.

You've just made my browsing much more enjoyable.

btschumy

Post by btschumy »

Another question about using this forum. Is there a way to mark the whole forum "read"? I generally use the "new posts since last visit" link. After reading some that interest me I'd like to mark the rest read. I see I can do this from each individual sub forum, but that is somewhat inefficient.

Is there a link I'm missing on the main forum index to mark everything read?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm not aware of a link that will mark everything read, across all forums.

As background... Not much status per user is maintained in the database. The topic-by-topic status is maintained by cookies in your browser.

So, probably some sequence like logout, remove cookies, login again would be equivalent to "mark everything read".

Sometimes I have to do that to make the flags work correctly, after reading a couple hundred topics. (For details, see FAQ: "New Posts" icons won't go away! What to do?)

But it's probably simpler to just mark the individual forums, once you've skimmed the titles to confirm that you probably don't care about whatever is left.

--Rik

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

I actually like the fact that the forum is so clean and lean. It makes me focus on the content rather than on the forum software.

Great job, Rik! Thanks to you and the admin/mod team for providing this forum for the community!

:smt023

Kind regards,
Ecki

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic