Hey Ken, here's a good trail for you to hike ;-)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some pretty interesting stuff there Charlie. :D I have seen webs spun on a large scale but not quite this large, in some of the caves here in the mountains. Deep underground, well not that deep but...it is kind of scarry when you come across them because you would think, what do spiders catch down this far and what is a spider doing in here anyway? Then your mind starts playing tricks on you and recalls all those large or giant spider movies you once saw many years ago. :lol:

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Ken Ramos wrote:Deep underground, well not that deep but...it is kind of scarry when you come across them because you would think, what do spiders catch down this far and what is a spider doing in here anyway? Then your mind starts playing tricks on you and recalls all those large or giant spider movies you once saw many years ago. :lol:
As it happened, I couldn't sleep last night, so was watching a cable rerun of the old Jonny Quest television show which was a big favorite of my childhood. Our heroes were escaping through a cave while pursued by the villains, when Race (the he-man bodyguard) got caught in a large web, and a "giant cave spider" which we were told is deadly poisonous, began moving towards him in a threatening manner (I'd say the body of the spider was a bit smaller than my hand, palm and fingers both). The spider was even chittering with glee at its victim. Fortunately, Dr. Quest shot the spider with a rifle <!> and it disintegrated into fragments. I don' think I want to photograph that spider!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Mike B in OKlahoma

Re: Hey Ken, here's a good trail for you to hike ;-)

As it happens, I saw a different news story about that on the internet this morning, and immediately made preparations to go see and photograph it this weekend! Made a hotel reservation in less than ten minutes from reading the story (it's too hot to camp right now!). If the crowds don't tear it all up before I get there, I'll have a report and pictures next week.

My suspicion is that the massive amounts of rain that the south plains have had lately has something to do with this. I know bugs are exceedingly common this Summer (if it wasn't so ding-dang hot, I'd be out photographing them more!).
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Mike B in OKlahoma

I drove for four hours to get to the park yesterday, and found that wind and rain have destroyed the webs--No more mass spider webs! Boy, was I annoyed! :(
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know, that is the way it always goes. :x Must have been a disappoint for sure, considering all the driving you did. To bad Mike but at least you gave it your best. Thanks :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic