Focus stack acquisition on an iPad or iPhone

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Focus stack acquisition on an iPad or iPhone

Post by rjlittlefield »

I recently ran across an app for iPad and iPhone that knows how to acquire focus stacks with the device's own camera, using its built-in focus motor.

The app is "Stay Focused" by Catapult Consulting, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stay-fo ... d921761453, http://catapultconsulting.net/stayfocused/. I see some discussion at http://www.mobitog.com/threads/stay-focused.18944/.

The documentation says that the app allows images to be exported for stacking by any of the usual applications (Photoshop, Hugin, Helicon, Zerene), or it can upload to the company's servers to be stacked there.

Before anybody asks, I'll volunteer that no, they're not using Zerene Stacker behind the scenes.

I have no experience with this beast and don't really know anything more than what I read.

But I figure this app will probably be of interest to some of the people who visit photomacrography.net, so here it is.

--Rik

DQE

Post by DQE »

Rik,

Thanks for the info.

I see that they charge a fee for each stack of photos, with no charge if they can't create a stack, etc. However, since it allows one to export to Zerene (presumably without a fee), it might be worth using here and there.

While they say it's of most benefit for macro, I find there are so many issues with phone cameras that I'd rather use it for occasional general purpose photos that need more DOF. While this isn't a frequent need, occasionally it would be helpful. For example, the other day I wanted to capture a snapshot-quality photo of shopping mall parking lot snow banks to send to friends, etc. I needed to capture automobiles that were both near and also adjacent to the snow banks, and stacking would have helped.

Has anyone tried to do do much macro photography with cell phone cameras? I seem to recall that we discussed this and related topics occasionally, ending up with diffraction and other issues.

It's hard to do snapshot-quality macro with fully-featured pocket cameras, for the usual reasons, IMO. Perhaps things would improve if one added an external macro optical adapter to a cell phone? But then one would have to cope with the extra cost and equipment to carry around. Might was well use a pocket-sized camera of some sort and make the best of that...
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

johan

Post by johan »

It's Hugin behind the scenes...

Just looking at the quality of the current first stacks in the Flickr group for this app I can't see it threatening Zerene currently. On the other hand it might expose stacking to a lot of people which might also work out positively for you Rik! My boy made a HDR photo with his new iphone last week which was stunning, so these devices are not to be sniffed at. But it wasn't macro, it was just an inside 50mm type shot.

The terms of service are interesting, especially 2.b - in which Catapult (the app company) has the right to use any images made with the app for its marketing. 4.d backs this up with 'forever and irrevocably, worldwide, royalty free to copy, modify, make available etc'

Have you ever considered an enhanced zerene stacker pay par stack superserver cloud service yourself?
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

steveminchington

Post by steveminchington »

I found this Youtube video a while ago for making a cell phone microscope. Maybe the focus stacking app would work well with this.

http://youtu.be/KpMTkr_aiYU

Watch out for the bit where he holds the laser pointer lens in a pair of pliers!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic