For trade...Sigma 180mm f 3.5 macro lens in Canon EF mount.

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

twebster

For trade...Sigma 180mm f 3.5 macro lens in Canon EF mount.

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all, :D

I recently purchased a Sigma 180mm f 3.5 macro lens in Canon EF mount that I thought I would be able to use for handheld macro photography with electronic flash. Unfortunately, I am not in good enough physical condition to be able to do so. I'm not saying the Sigma lens is too heavy to be handheld. I am just not in good enough physical condition to be able to do so anymore due to progressively challenging health issues. The lens is in excellent condition and could almost pass for a new lens. I have the OEM lens hood and OEM case and would throw in a 72mm polarizing filter.

I would like to trade this for a Canon 100mm f 2.8 macro lens with USM in excellent condition. I'm proposing a straight trade. If you are looking for a very good, very sharp long focal length macro lens, the Sigma 180mm delivers very, very good images and provides for a long working distance from your subject. I should note, this is not the latest model with the DG lens coatings. I had the opportunity to test this lens alongside the newer model with the DG lens coatings and I could not tell one bit of difference between the respective images made with my Canon EOS 20D.

If anyone is interested, please, send me a PM. I would like to offer this deal to our members before I post the lens on Fred Miranda or eBay.

Best regards to all, as always :!: :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Tom, before you trade away your 180--You might want to consider picking up a Vivitar/Phoenix/Cosina 100mm lens (I understand all three are actually the same lens). These are quite a bit cheaper than the Canon 100mm, and you might be able to afford to get it without losing your 180. They're also lighter, because frankly they are cheaply built. Image quality is good stopped down. I had one of these as my first macro lens--I eventually gave it away to someone who was getting started out in digital photography.

Only disadvantage to the lens (other than cheap build, which is a given) is that it only goes to 1:2 on it's own. YOu have to screw on a diopter to go to 1:1. The diopter has little or no effect on the image quality.

Just a thought. The 180 is a very useful lens, and I'd hate to see you have to give it up!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

twebster

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' MIke, :D

Thank you and I appreciate your concern, my friend. :D It's not a matter of expense, rather, it is a matter of use. I'm just not going to use the 180mm for what was my intended purpose. I have other, lighter lenses that encompass the 180mm to 200mm focal lengths so I'm not creating a gap in my coverage. I just thought I would give someone stronger a chance to trade up to a longer focal length macro lens.

The Vivitar/Phoenix/Cosina macro lens is a good macro "starter" lens but just not in the league of the Canon 100mm macro lens. I initially bought the Sigma so that I could have the internal focus and a tripod collar. I loved my Tamron 90mm macro. I've never owned a sharper lens but it is inconvenient to use with flash and has no tripod collar.

The Tamron changes length as you focus and I like to keep my flash head right at the end of the lens. I found I was constantly having to adjust the flash position. With no tripod collar available I was having to readjust the flash every time I wanted to shoot a vertical composition. I ended up spending most of my time adjusting the flash position rather than making photographs!

The Canon 100mm is much lighter than the Sigma 180mm and has an available tripod collar that the other manufacturer's 90mm to 105mm macro lenses don't have. With internal focus and a tripod collar I'll be able to set the flash in position once and then concentrate on shooting. If I need a longer focal length I can always add my 1.4x or 2x teleconverters to the Canon 100mm macro lens. I just need to make things simpler and lighter for my purposes. By the time I add the Canon 550ex flash and Kirk macro bracket plus my homemade diffusion box I have just too much weight for me to handhold if I use the Sigma 180mm macro lens.

Best regards as always, my friend. :D
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

I'd love to have a good macro lens, and that Sigma 180 sounds right up my alley. However, I really have nothing to trade for it (i only have 3 lenses as it is right now). Still saving my pennies :-)
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic