Outreach

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

... She returned, beads in hand, and we looked. "Beads BIG!" she said. Her eyes seemed the size of dinner plates. :smt038
Chris, that is a great story -- many thanks for making my day!

--Rik

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Here we go with outreach again...

Last Monday and Tuesday, 10/2 and 10/3, the 2012 STEP Conference was held in Riverside, Calif., and I was able to be there.

This time it was at the Bourns Technology Center. Somehow it got bigger than last year, and had 4,500 :shock: :shock: grade and middle school students bused in for science demonstrations and displays. Lots of big time supporters like Boeing, General Atomics (who put on an outrageous physics stage demonstration), the US Navy Surface Warfare Group, Lockheed Martin and lots more.

And me with a bunch of microscopes :D .

The kids were well-behaved, and as you can see from the photos, had a great time. I think I had more fun than they did, and no damage was done to any of the instruments.

Everyone should try to do some outreach. Whether hauling a microscope around, showing some of your amazing images, or just talking to a classroom full of kids about science in general. It's well worth the effort, and the kids and teachers really, really appreciate it!

Tom

Olympusman

Outreach

Post by Olympusman »

I mounted an exhibit of focu stacked insects at a local science center frequented by school groups and it was a very satisfying experience. Forunately, I received a grant from the state arts council to defray part of the cost of the exhibit. There'as a video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-AIjC0C ... re=related
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Hi Michael,

Nice job on the display. They did a very nice video, too. It's great to see outreach efforts like yours. :D
Thanks.

Tom

Olympusman

Outreach

Post by Olympusman »

Thanks Tom,
Mounting an exhibit like this is a long an arduous process. It starts with a portfolio presntation and prospectus for the exhibit and arranging the contract. Then the venue has to find time window for the installation. Nest comes applying for a grant with the state arts council, which will require bids for the prints, matting and framing. Fortunately the low bidder was a socially responsible local camera shop that generously offered to co-sponsor the matting and framing. The arts council grant covered about half of the framing costs at the discounted rate and my wife and I ended up putting in the roughly $300 difference. I made the prints myself. The science center was very proactive about press and they arranged a photo shoot and interview for the local paper and set up the video session the week after the opening reception. I was also required to conduct a lecture on macrophotography techniques with a slide show. (I did not receive an honoarium for the lecture). I was able to present the lecture a few more times -- once for a local camera club and once for the camera club at work.
Overall it was a very satisfying experience. We all have these remarkable images that we can share and perhaps inspire kids by opening up a whole new world to them by feeding their curiosity.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic