Major New Book On British Insects To Be Published

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Major New Book On British Insects To Be Published

Post by Harold Gough »

To be published 2 September 2011:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 1444344981

£10 cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Entomolog ... 27&sr=1-42

The book should be useful for at least northern Europe (my suggestion).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks for the heads up - should be good from the RES... Now on my wishlist!

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Another good one for British flies that came out recently "A Dipterist's Handbook 2nd ed"

http://www.nhbs.com/a_dipterists_handbo ... _9248.html
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

AndrewC wrote:Another good one for British flies that came out recently "A Dipterist's Handbook 2nd ed"

http://www.nhbs.com/a_dipterists_handbo ... _9248.html
Unfortunately, there is no mention of illustrations.

Harold

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

This Handbook provides a work of reference for everyone interested in the study of flies, both beginners and experienced dipterists. The first edition appeared in 1978, since when there have been considerable advances in knowledge of Diptera and new techniques and equipment used in their study have developed. All topics covered in the first edition have been fully updated and new subjects have been added so that it has grown substantially to more than twice the size of the first edition. It is illustrated by 172 colour photographs in the plates and on the rear cover, which include a wide range of flies arranged according to their principal habitat associations. The front cover illustration is a painting of the bizarre dolichopodid Campsicnemus magius by the late Peter Skidmore, author of the section on Dung.
As in the first edition great emphasis has been placed on the habitats and biological associations of flies and it brings together a summary of the latest knowledge of all aspects of the biology of Diptera at the species level. This reflects the huge diversity in biology and habitat associations of adults and larvae. It also demonstrates where increases in knowledge could be made by the contribution of anyone interested in making observations, whatever their level of experience in the study of Diptera.
Additional subjects not covered in the first edition include an explanation of the classification of Diptera and a bibliography of key works for the identification of both adults and larvae. Some specific habitat associations are covered in greater detail to reflect increased ecological knowledge of flies and the greater significance now being placed on some habitats in the conservation of Diptera. The section on conservation has been expanded to reflect the increased importance of this subject. The important role of flies in nature is emphasised, such as in recycling of waste materials and in pollination of many plants, as well as being valuable as environmental indicators of the health of the ecosystem. The Handbook also covers the treatment of some flies as pests because they are involved in transmission of diseases, are parasitic on vertebrates or attack crop plants but emphasises that others are significant in providing biological control as predators or parasitoids of other pest insects.
The chapter on behavioural studies has been expanded to cover techniques in more detail. Forensic entomology is another increasingly important subject, for which an expanded account has been provided. There are also sections on the history and activities of Dipterists Forum and on Recording Schemes. The Handbook is concluded with an account of changes to the British Diptera fauna that have taken place in the period since the appearance of the first edition.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks, Anderew.

You were more successful than I was in finding a suitable alternative account.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic