A BIG Thank You to this Community - 2021 Nikon Small World

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zed

A BIG Thank You to this Community - 2021 Nikon Small World

Post by zed »

As many of you may have seen - my image of a live oak leaf took first place in the 2021 Nikon Small World competition. I just wanted to take a moment and give a big THANK YOU to everyone in this forum. Over the past few years, many of you have given me advice, sold me parts, and contributed invaluable information to this forum that helped get the build of this microscope off the ground and eventually take this image. I could not have done this without all of you.

Since I know these questions are coming, I thought I would include a picture and some details of the configuration that collected these images.

This microscope is configured for both infinity and finite optics (using different tubes - finite pictured), transmitted light, diffused reflected light, white light epi-illumination as well as polarized light for both transmitted and reflected light. It uses a tethered Sony A7R3, StackShot Z drive and is controlled via Zerene and Sony's Imaging Edge software.

The objective used for this image was a Nikon BD Plan 60x/0.7 210 finite with transmitted light filtered through a red filter combined with diffused reflected light through a styrofoam diffuser. The stack was 200 images at 0.5um steps and processed in both Helicon Focus (DMAP) and Zerene (PMax) and results where combined in Photoshop. Colors were shifted from original green/red to purple/cyan via hue shift in PS.

Adalbert

Re: A BIG Thank You to this Community - 2021 Nikon Small World

Post by Adalbert »

congrats =D>

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I think what I like best is how it simultaneously looks natural and kind of effortless while also really showing all the work and care that went into it. Well done with a well deserved win!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

zed, that's a spectacular image and a beautiful setup. Nicely done on all counts!
zed wrote: processed in both Helicon Focus (DMAP) and Zerene (PMax) and results where combined in Photoshop.
As the author of Zerene Stacker, I am pleased to see that it played a role in making this image!

But I am puzzled by the details of the wording. Helicon Focus does not have a "DMAP"; that name sounds like Zerene's "DMap".

Do you mean Helicon's "Method B"? Both Helicon's Method B and Zerene's DMap are depth map methods, which I would expect to generate similar results for this image.

--Rik

zed

Post by zed »

I guess I use Zerene so frequently that DMAP = depth map to me!

But you are correct, the depth map function equivalent in HF would be Method B.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic