FAQ: How do you illuminate your subject?

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

FAQ: How do you illuminate your subject?

Post by NikonUser »

ChrisR asked about lighting HERE
"Could I ask specifically about Very Close work. How short a Working Distance have you managed to use, with what lighting?"

My shortest WD (9.2mm) is when using a Nikon CF N Plan Achromat 10/0.3 objective.
I use 3, SB-R200 flashes and place them as close as possible to the lens. Controlled wirelessly. Image below. With the flashes so close to the specimen I can use the flashes at way less than full power - makes it economically feasible, battery wise.

In fact, I am now using this setup (1 flash on top, 1 on each side) with all my lenses.
All exposures are 1/250 sec with flash.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

NikonUser, I know this post is 5 years old. But I have some questions for you. I notice that you have the objective mounted on the PB 6 bellows Did you need full extension of the bellows ? Are you using the same lighting now ? Was this setup used with a Nikon D90 ? Has your setup evolved ? Thanks.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I don’t recall that setup but it is one I must have used.
Currently I surround my subject with a Styrofoam cup, or part of a cup (depends on specimen size), and use 1 or more flashes. Those SB-R200 use expensive batteries so my 1st choice is to use a single SB-800 ( 5 AA batteries).

SEE BOTTOM PAGE 8 OF THIS THREAD FOR SET-UP
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 61dc9b189c

I find that a vertical system using a microscope base is far more useful and versatile than a horizontal system (I have both). I now use a Nikon D6100 instead of the D90.

Note that the Nikon 10x I have is a finite lens; it is designed to work at 150mm from the camera sensor, so NO the bellows are nowhere near full extension
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic