FAQ: What factors affect the speed of Zerene Stacker?

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

FAQ: What factors affect the speed of Zerene Stacker?

Post by mawyatt »

Rik, Chris,

I am sure this has been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it, so my apology in advance.

Does the hard drive R/W speed and latency have much to do with the overall speed of large number of stacks (200~500) with large individual TIFF images (110MB)?

For example, how much improvement should one expect when using a SSD vs. regular high speed HD (7200rpm) or dual RAID high speed HD (7200rpm) for all the image data storage and the Zerene program and scratch memory are in a SSD and the computer has sufficient DRAM memory (32GB) to not require swapping?

Thanks,

Mike

Admin edit (rjl, 8/11/2015): change title to better reflect content

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike,

I think what you're looking for is bullet #6 at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 699#141699.

That long posting, and follow-up postings on page 2 of the thread, are the best information we have at this time regarding how system configuration affects stacking speed.

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Rik,

I'll try some of these suggestions when I get home tonight. This is beginning to make me wonder if 32GB of DRAM is sufficient.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mawyatt wrote:This is beginning to make me wonder if 32GB of DRAM is sufficient.
Note bullet #3, "A good allocation is 100-200 megabytes per megapixel". 200 megabytes per megapixel, multiplied by 36 megapixels for a D800, gives 7.2 GB. 32GB is enough to process three or four stacks at once with that allocation. Adding more DRAM might provide more opportunity for file caching, but I'd expect the benefit to be small.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic