Flash fires twice

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

courtany

Flash fires twice

Post by courtany »

Hello It's been a long tine since I had a go at photo stacking and I'm very rusty. The problem I have is that the flash fires twice for each frame during the stack instead of just once I have tried a search but couldn't find an answer. Any tips would be very helpful.

Cheers Keith

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Flash fires twice

Post by Pau »

Maybe the first fire is the pre-flash that many cameras use for measuring the light in auto mode (like Canon E-TTL II).
Try setting the flash in M mode (anyway it is the best setting for stacking in order to have uniform illumination of the frames)
Pau

courtany

Post by courtany »

Hello Pau There's a correction to my first explanation the camera takes two frames and flashes each frame then then makes the step and then repeats. I've tried two cameras a D800 and a D5 set on manual the flash is a SB900. I have made stacks in the past but can't remember it happening before.

Cheers Keith

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

That sounds like what happens when a rail controller is set to drive a camera in mirror lockup mode with two shutter pulses per step, but the camera is not set to mirror lockup so both pulses take pictures.

--Rik

courtany

Post by courtany »

Thanks for your efforts chaps but I've found the problem somehow I managed to get TWO shots entered in config. May be now that I've arrived at eighty I should probably take up knitting :D :D

Cheers Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic