meta equipment choices in 2021

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

blekenbleu

Re: meta equipment choices in 2021

Post by blekenbleu »

tkphot wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:26 pm
I am almost set on getting the Sony a7r III or IV, but not sure if it makes sense to consider Canon over Sony (for tethering / remote PC control purposes, or other features I haven't considered).
Some newer cameras support focus stacking, also called focus bracketing. Some older Canon DSLRs can do focus stacking using firmware called Magic Lantern.

tkphot

Post by tkphot »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm
I'll just repeat myself, GET MORE PIXELS, you will never regret it and you will still outresolve the sensor with good lenses. See Beatsy's recent tests. If those don't make you want to get an A7R4, I will be surprised.

viewtopic.php?p=272808#p272808
I've been looking at his post's recently, its amazing and it's part of what convinced me to get this camera! Really impressed by the pixel shift and sensor resolution on the a7r IV
ChrisR wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm
tkphot wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:26 pm
You all said to go for more pixels -
With respect, you have misread.

If want to multiply your budget by 3 or many more, and spend a while getting everything else right, then perhaps spend more time peeping at pixels rather than producing useful images - the answer is yes. Go for the highest number of pixels you can find.
In the quest for great image it's the weakest link which shows, not the strongest.
Definitely will admit to having Gear Acquisition Syndrome :mrgreen: I understand what you're saying though - a high MP sensor will not necessarily make my images any better if I don't have good technique and lighting, and requires better optics and more storage / computing power. I decided to increase my budget and start with good equipment as I'll be using this camera for other things like birding and macro with my wife. My background is in research/microscopy which led me down this path, and seeing the photos you all are posting here inspires me to dive into this and learn to do it right

Currently reading about light diffusion techniques/materials, and deciding which flash unit(s) would be ideal for my setup

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think you won't regret your decision. Especially since you are also working hard to learn all the other things besides the camera.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

tkphot wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 pm
Definitely will admit to having Gear Acquisition Syndrome :mrgreen: I understand what you're saying though - a high MP sensor will not necessarily make my images any better if I don't have good technique and lighting, and requires better optics and more storage / computing power. I decided to increase my budget and start with good equipment as I'll be using this camera for other things like birding and macro with my wife. My background is in research/microscopy which led me down this path, and seeing the photos you all are posting here inspires me to dive into this and learn to do it right

Currently reading about light diffusion techniques/materials, and deciding which flash unit(s) would be ideal for my setup
FIne! It's a well worn path - which will take you and your wife to the north. North of $10k, in a jiffy.
Chris R

tkphot

Post by tkphot »

ChrisR wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:15 pm
FIne! It's a well worn path - which will take you and your wife to the north. North of $10k, in a jiffy.
Thanks Bitcoin! :D

I just noticed that Levon Biss has done some work on amber specimens! I'm blown away https://levonbiss.com/projects/amber-series/thumbnails

See for example his https://levonbiss.com/projects/amber-series#slide1 .

[admin edit: RJL, to remove inlined copy of Levon's image]

tkphot

Post by tkphot »

The Sony A7R IV price dropped to 2298 with EDU discount today, in case anyone else is interested in a new camera. They are updating some a7r's models with a higher res lcd, and are pushing big discounts on the old stock

OioMik

Post by OioMik »

I am doing photo to ambers, and i want to warn you that using a 10x on ambers is quite always a problem.

if the subject is very very near and thin, you can do something with a 10x, otherwise the result will be very different from what you see, and completely unusable.
I have no photo now to explain you why.

i suggest you to go from 1x to 5x maximum for ambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic