New to MFTs

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sulafat

New to MFTs

Post by Sulafat »

Hello,

With the second economic impact payment burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to do my patriotic duty to stimulate the economy. I impetuously purchased a modest Lumix GX85 micro four thirds camera body. I had heard that MFTs offered advantages in macrophotography such as a 2X crop factor and increased DOF. I thought I would give one a try.

Here is an example image from this camera. It is a head shot of a dipteran I recently collected and am yet to identify.

https://flic.kr/p/2kMr1Qs

I mounted the camera on a bellows and used a DCR-250 as a tube lens with a LOMO 3.7x objective. For light, I used a speedlite, LED, and ping-pong ball diffusor. I used Helicon Focus Methods B & C and blended the best of the two using Ps. I changed the aspect ratio to 1:1 in the final image but didn’t crop it otherwise. I manually activated the shutter (via WiFi) and focus rail (WeMacro via PC) during the stacking process since the GX85 doesn’t tether with a PC. Regardless, I’m quite happy with this first attempt.

I was hoping others could share their early experiences with MFTs and macrophotography from a new user point of view. I’m particularly interested in workflows since the MFT universe seems diverse and various software/hardware commonly used with focus stacking may not be compatible with many camera brands. If anyone would like to share their early experiences with MFTs and macro or link me to previous discussions in the forum on the subject, I would much appreciate it.

By the way, the GX85 seems a nifty little camera. I think I’ll have fun with it as a handheld even if it doesn’t prove practical for studio stacking. I’ve mounted a couple of old 70’s era nifty-fifties on it, even reversing one, and the camera takes reasonably good pix with them!

Thanks! Greg Brown
Flickr page: https://flic.kr/ps/3eJvz5

I'm an amateur photographer in the gentle persuit of modest competency.

Lou Jost

Re: New to MFTs

Post by Lou Jost »

Welcome to MFT. They are a lot of fun!

Much has been written on the forum about MFT cameras and lenses, and their advantages and disadvantages. Far too much to repeat here. I suggest you do a forum search on MFT. You'll come up with a large volume of very helpful material.

My main reason for liking MFT is that the system is very light and the lenses weigh almost nothing compared to their APS and FF counterparts. That lightness and compactness is essential for my field work. However, I like the results of a full frame camera better when working at home, and if size and weight are no issue, I'd recommend APS or FF.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here's another reason why I like MFT: they allow you to use virtually all lenses from almost all manufacturers, and since you are just using the centers, you can get surprisingly good corner-to-corner sharpness. I have found that my best MFT tube lens is a cheap damaged Nikon 80-200mm zoom. It is better than anything else I tried, and I tried a lot of expensive primes. Today I came across an interesting Lensrentals blog post (thanks Robert for reminding me of the treasures in that blog) which showed a Nikon 70-200mm lens was much better in the center than some of the very best prime lenses:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/0 ... e-curtain/
(see last graph)

MFT lets us take advantage of that!

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Lou

Is this the 80-200 you are referring to please?

Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm F/4.5 Zoom Lens Ai Manual Focus

Thanks

John

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is a fine picture!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Sulafat

Post by Sulafat »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:19 pm
Welcome to MFT. They are a lot of fun!

Much has been written on the forum about MFT cameras and lenses, and their advantages and disadvantages. Far too much to repeat here. I suggest you do a forum search on MFT. You'll come up with a large volume of very helpful material.

My main reason for liking MFT is that the system is very light and the lenses weigh almost nothing compared to their APS and FF counterparts. That lightness and compactness is essential for my field work. However, I like the results of a full frame camera better when working at home, and if size and weight are no issue, I'd recommend APS or FF.
Thanks Lou. I've played around photo-stacking with the GX85 with Raynox 250/150's as tube lens and my best objectives, on a bellows. I made comparison images using a Canon full-frame camera and think I agree with you about studio work. Besides, the studio workflow with the GX85 is awkward for me since I can't tether it with a PC and use my usual software. Nonetheless, I'm having great fun using the GX85 as a grab-and-go camera. The size and weight are perfect. This being springtime, there's plenty of subjects out and about for some hand-held photography.

Thanks again for you recommendations and in-sights.

Greg Brown
Tallahassee, FL
Flickr page: https://flic.kr/ps/3eJvz5

I'm an amateur photographer in the gentle persuit of modest competency.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic