Running flash from mains power?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jittebug

Running flash from mains power?

Post by Jittebug »

Not sure if this belongs here on in Equipment Discussions, anyway:

I'm currently using my old Venus KX-800 twin flash to light my stacks, but am bothered by considerable differences in lighting between shots. I'm already using 5 s between shots and am shooting at 1/32-1/64 power. I'd rather not go for longer waits between images.
I'm also using the MJKZZ controller to flash mid-exposure (1 s), in case that matters.

This is, of course, assuming that the difference in lighting is due to differences in the charge.

Questions:
Is this assumption correct?

Will I solve this by running the flash from mains power?

If so, how? I can't find information about what kind of adapter to use.

Thanks

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Here's a link to start: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... p?p=128361

Could you be better off with continuous lighting?

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

...flash can also introduce undesirable brightness variation from frame to frame. I am not sure whether since this was written 15 years ago, someone has found out why this is. I have always heard that there's some inaccuracy in the output power of speedlights, but also that that be in the order or 1/3 stop, so nothing to worry about.

It has nothing to do with powering the flash. I am running my speedlight now on a 6V lead-acid battery which recharges in a second, but even at slow rates the variation remains.

The good thing is that Zerene doesn't bother about it at all.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic