Some macro shots of currencies from 2009

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lazyeye

Some macro shots of currencies from 2009

Post by lazyeye »

Came for advice on how to take my macro/micro to the next level.

Here are some pictures of currencies I made using my 100mm prime macro Canon lens with my Canon 5D MkII.

I used extension tubes and external lighting. I don’t remember how I got the idea to put these elements together to make these images, whether a hunch or I read something on forums back in 2009.

Used an off camera flash and would like to do more with more/better equipment in the micro/macro space. I posted in Beginners Micro forum to get some advice. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[/img]

grgh

Post by grgh »

Like the first one best as it has a look of a painting,
all good shots and idea.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Are there any aspects of these images that you particularly think you need help with?

I have no idea from your question whether you're concerned with sharpness, or DOF, or lighting, or subject selection, or composition, or something else, or all of the above.

--Rik

lazyeye

Post by lazyeye »

Here’s a cross-post from beginners micro:

Greetings,

This is a subject I've been interested in for many years, but have always strayed away for one reason or another. I currently have a decent bag for everyday shooting, plus some light macro work. In the past I have combined my macro lens with my extension tubes and got some decent results photographing paper money and coinage with off camera lighting. Haven't tried it with bugs or anything else yet.

I watched Mr Krebs Creative Live course and got an understanding on some of the basics, but I was looking to the community to help me get started with a relatively small budget.

Here's what I currently have to work with:

Canon 5D MKII
100mm Canon EF Macro 2.8
24-70mm Canon L Series 2.8
Kenko Extension Tubes 12mm+20mm+36mm
45mm TS-E Tilt Shift Lens 2.8 (dunno how this would work in this field, but I'll just throw it in there)
Tamron 75-300mm 4-5.6
Nikon SB-800 Speedlite
2 x Nikon SB-80 Speedlites
White Lightning 1600 Studio Strobe
Radiopop Wireless Triggers

Is there a combination of reverse mounting and/or extension tubes and/or (reasonably priced) objective that would work well for a nice 5-10x setup?

Is there a trinocular microscope solution that would work well (out of the box)?

I am looking to get up and running for ~$500 (for either micro or macro) additional equipment to work with my current bag.

Can anyone offer any solutions?

I appreciate your help in advance, and thanks for taking the time out for a newb. Please be gentile while photography isn't foreign to me, this new world is!

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

For 5-10x, go with adapted microscope objectives and stacking. Reversed mounting or extension tubes will not offer you enough resolution and DoF will be very shallow without stacking, unless your purpose is very casual educational use.

For up to 10x, you don't really need a trinocular microscope, which would unnecessarily use a major part of your $500 budget. I am assuming you meant $500 for both macro and micro or either one, but not $1000 for both.

Tilt Shift Lens may be useful in soap film (interference light) macro shots.

$500 sounds about enough if buying used microscope objectives, though that budget is slightly tight.

You can start with some infinity corrected microscope objectives (e.g., Nikon CFI BE Plan 4x and 10x), Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 as tube lens, WeMacro rail /system and Zerene stacking software (of which Rik is the author).

Here you can find Robert's lens tests, which include a 4x under $100 comparison (in which he recommended Nikon CFI BE Plan achromat 4x):

https://www.closeuphotography.com/lens-tests

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic