Using microscope objective for macro imaging

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Kieran Jones

Using microscope objective for macro imaging

Post by Kieran Jones »

[Posting moved to here from Beginners Micro Forum]

Hello:

I'm thinking of using microscope objectives for macrophotography.

Since I'll be using a full-frame DSLR I understand it's preferable to use an infinity-corrected objective to fully cover the frame.

My plan is to use a 180mm camera lens as the tube lens and an adapter to attach the objective to the filter thread of the 180mm lens.

I'm currently looking at the following possible objectives:

10X Nikon CFI 60 LU Plan Epi Infinity-Corrected

10X Mitutoyo Plan Apo Infinity-Corrected Long WD

If any forum members have experience with these or similar objectives and/or any advice regarding my current plan I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Regards,

Kieran Jones

conkar

Re: Using microscope objective for macro imaging

Post by conkar »

Kieran Jones wrote:[Posting moved to here from Beginners Micro Forum]

Hello:

I'm thinking of using microscope objectives for macrophotography.

Since I'll be using a full-frame DSLR I understand it's preferable to use an infinity-corrected objective to fully cover the frame.

My plan is to use a 180mm camera lens as the tube lens and an adapter to attach the objective to the filter thread of the 180mm lens.

I'm currently looking at the following possible objectives:

10X Nikon CFI 60 LU Plan Epi Infinity-Corrected

10X Mitutoyo Plan Apo Infinity-Corrected Long WD

If any forum members have experience with these or similar objectives and/or any advice regarding my current plan I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Regards,

Kieran Jones
You have to be "picky" to choose one of these two's. Both of them are very good microscope objectives, if I had to choose I would go with the Mitu.

I don't know what camera lens at 180mm you like to use as a "tube lens", but I has tested both of them with a thorlabs tube lens AC508-180-A-ML with good results, I suppose the thorlabs 180mm tube lens is almost equal with the mytical "Morfanon".

Regards,
Conny

Kieran Jones

Post by Kieran Jones »

Hello Conny:

Thank you for your sharing your experience.

To start with I'm planning to use my existing AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D lens as my tube lens.

Thanks also for your reference to Thor Labs - I didn't know about them before. They have some interesting optical mounting hardware that I might use in the future.

Regards,

Kieran

Kieran Jones

Microscope objective update.

Post by Kieran Jones »

I've purchased the Mitutoyo 10x objective and set it up as described above. Pictures taken with it can be seen in this post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic