New member!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sally

New member!

Post by Sally »

Hello all, I've recently become a member after reading the Zerene Stacker article in Amateur Photographer magazine a couple of months back - and being a part-time student at Blackburn College here in Lancashire, I thought I'd dive in at the deep end and take advantage of the student license.
I've spent the last couple of weeks looking for dead bugs (!), making ring lights from LEDs (poorly), cursing my inability to move the camera in small enough increments and waiting for ages for the ripples in my mug of tea to stop before I press the shutter release :)
Here are the first few images I haven't deleted:
It's really addictive!
Sally

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Sally,

Welcome to the forum. :)

You've done well, given the equipment limitations mentioned.

I like the "mug of tea" trick. I expect you are using this as a vibration indicator?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

You've made good use of your time, I see. :D

Is that last image an ordinary dandelion presented in an extraordinary fashion, or something more exotic?

--Rik

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

A very warm welcome Sally:

I too am very new to stacking..........I prefer the challenge of carefully thought out shots with the camera hand-held for stacking:

A great set of shots there.......I too like the dandelion:

I would forget the ring light ...I found that mine gave very flat looking results................make a DIY diffuser from a plastic milk carton and cooking foil.........or...use a ping-pong ball diffuser:

I am sure that other members here will offer more suggestions:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

Sally,

Another warm welcome.

Only criticism is that these are in the wrong place - I can see no reason why you should not be posting alongside the "big boys" in the technical and studio forum. This are really nice images, especially for a self confessed beginner. We look forward to more.

Peter

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Peter M. Macdonald wrote:Only criticism is that these are in the wrong place - I can see no reason why you should not be posting alongside the "big boys" in the technical and studio forum. This are really nice images, especially for a self confessed beginner. We look forward to more.
Oops -- I should have noticed that! I agree wholeheartedly with Peter and will immediately move the thread to its rightful place. :D

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

A good start! :)

What on earth is the second image of? (I guess its part of a plant but no idea what part or what plant!)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Sally,

Welcome! Great way to start!

Laurie... I'll guess that it's (second image) the underside of a fern frond... but whatever it might be it is a wonderful graphic image!

Sally

Post by Sally »

Thank you all for your warm welcome and kind words!

Craig - I've never thought of my brew as a 'vibration indicator' before :) I just know it gets less effective and increasingly difficult to monitor the more I drink...

Rik - yes it is one of many dandelions taken from the back garden.

Sonyalpha - I can't forget the ring light - I cut a hole in my dad's garden kneeler (all of 90p from Home Bargains) to make it - and he's still ranting at me!

Lauriek - it is a young fern - I had no idea they looked like that up close.

I've ordered a stage off of eBay - it hasn't arrived yet, and I've no idea how I'll attach the camera to it - but I'm sure it'll be less frustrating than trying to move my uncalibrated bellows in tiny increments and then finding out they weren't tiny enough.
Thank you all,
Sally

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Welcome Sally. Super photos... especially of the dandelion.

I've been here a long time and have never attempted stacking!! :D

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Welcome, Sally, great stacks! I particularly love the Dandelion

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Sally wrote:Lauriek - it is a young fern - I had no idea they looked like that up close.
The structures are sori:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorus

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Welcome to the forum, some great shots there! I love the mug of tea trick, very good!
Oh and I occasionally read AP magazine too
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

morfa

Post by morfa »

Very nice stacks Sally! I love the dandelion – the great lighting and all those radiating lines give it a lot of impact.

Nice to have you on board – welcome!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic