The subtleties of fly ID's - stereo pair added

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

morfa

Post by morfa »

Great work NU!

I think you should continue with your squinting practise – I get a lot out of the 3D images.

BTW: I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down :lol:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

morfa wrote: I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down :lol:
No, I just did it to save screen space -- didn't stop to think that it looks like stereo. :oops:

That is a funky dance! But it also suggests that a stereo animation with the critter moving in a circle would be pretty effective. Perhaps later...

--Rik

LordV

Post by LordV »

rjlittlefield wrote:
morfa wrote: I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down :lol:
No, I just did it to save screen space -- didn't stop to think that it looks like stereo. :oops:

That is a funky dance! But it also suggests that a stereo animation with the critter moving in a circle would be pretty effective. Perhaps later...

--Rik
Rik - someone has done a rotational stereo after seeing some of my normal stereos and animated GIFS -
Interestingly it was done for bug ID for the US forestry commision
http://tonygt19.smugmug.com/Nature/Macr ... YJ-O-1.gif

Brian V.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

LordV wrote:Rik - someone has done a rotational stereo after seeing some of my normal stereos and animated GIFS -
Interestingly it was done for bug ID for the US forestry commision
http://tonygt19.smugmug.com/Nature/Macr ... YJ-O-1.gif
Ah! I know those people.

If I recall correctly, that animation is true stereo. They shoot 72 stacks separated by 5 degrees (72*5=360), then assemble each neighboring pair of stacked composites to make 72 stereo pairs.

They were intrigued by the thought of using Zerene Stacker synthetic stereo to fill in the gaps, making a smoother animation from the same number of raw frames. A lens operating at f/8 on the subject side has an aperture that spans about 7 degrees, so at least for smaller subjects there should be enough data in each stack for that to work out OK.

By the way, when I wrote "moving in a circle", I was actually thinking of rocking up/down and side/side simultaneously, with 90 degrees phase shift. Think of sliding the optical axis around the surface of a cone.

--Rik

Graham46

Post by Graham46 »

rjlittlefield wrote: Ah! I know those people.
Hey, I know those people too... :wink:
Semper cogitatio
Graham

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic