Tulip magnolia tree flower

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Tulip magnolia tree flower

Post by Marcepstein »

Here are some shots of a tulip magnolia tree or saucer magnolia flower (Magnolia x soulangiana). The gremlins of photography were chasing me lately. In testing 4 post processing programs and a new camera body, I used this flower as a subject. I had to use different flowers (same spp) over several days as I climbed some learning curves, so the flower images look different. The camera is an EOS R7 and lens ef 100mm f2.8 macro. Of the 4 programs, I narrowed it to Canon DPP v4 and DXO Photolab 6 based on ease of use and image quality. The images were influenced by different lighting conditions, trial and error using new software, new camera, not the same flower, etc. But – all were pretty nice. I am still testing these programs using images taken under the same conditions now that I have some experience with the programs and camera. Still learning. All stacks were done in Zerene. Thanks for looking!

The first 3 using DXO 6
tulip-tree-flower-3B--2023-03-09.jpg
tulip-tree-flower-3C--2023-03-09.jpg
Tulip-magnolia-new-2_2023-03-13.jpg

The 4th image processed with DPP
tulip-tree-flower-3-5B.jpg

This last one was an earlier attempt with the 1DM4 and PShop CS6/Bridge.
tulip-tree-flower---2023-02-14-10.jpg
Marc

AlP

Re: Tulip magnolia tree flower

Post by AlP »

Hi, Marc. I am a little confused. Shouldn't the test be done with the same image between the various programmes or am I missing something in your post? I like the second image from the top. Al.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Yes, you are right, it just didn’t work out that way as I was leaning the how to setup the camera and the various modules in the software, both new to me. With a little experience behind me now, I am going to be testing the software again on a single image. Thanks for commenting!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Those are lovely Magnolia pictures, and I say that as something of a Magnolia maniac.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Thanks for the comment. This varity blooms this time of year. The blosseming doesnt last long. I have an interesting dwarf magnolia receptical image that I will get around to posting ... trying to keep up with the early flowering plants.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Our Magnolias in Ecuador are only open at night, and are only white. My colleagues and I discovered a new Magnolia species two weeks ago and I am desperately trying to photograph a good flower of it....

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Wow, a new species.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This will be the fourth new Magnolia species that has been discovered on our reserves.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Marc,
Very nice pictures!
Best, ADi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic