How can I improve stacking blurs/ halos?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jvanhuys

How can I improve stacking blurs/ halos?

Post by jvanhuys »

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know how I can improve my stacking results with regards to large depth differences between a foreground hair and a distant background? E

I'm using Schneider Makro Symmar HM 120mm f/5.6 at around 1:4 or 1:5... not sure, but close to being outside it's optimized range. The distance between the hair closest to camera and the paper behind is about 3cm.

I stacked about 30-40 images for each set using a monorail. Photoshop's results were unusable, so i tried Helicon Focus and got about 80% better results. One example is using diffused lighting the other direct lighting. Both give halos around hair highlights and blurs on the background where there should be detail. Appreciate any advice.

For now, please ignore stitching artefact, instead I'd appreciate it if we can focus on the halos and blurs around hairs.
Attachments
stack_dir.jpg
stack_diff.jpg
stack_diff_02.jpg
stack_dir_02.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: How can I improve stacking blurs/ halos?

Post by rjlittlefield »

In general the problem is not solvable.

But for background and some ideas, read the whole thread "What causes halo?".

--Rik

jvanhuys

Re: How can I improve stacking blurs/ halos?

Post by jvanhuys »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 am
In general the problem is not solvable.

But for background and some ideas, read the whole thread "What causes halo?".

--Rik
Thanks Rik,

After reading that article I feel a little depressed, but it's good to know and see explicitly what causes it.... it makes me want to avoid stitching when going closer than 1:2 or 1:1... rather go much smaller magnifiction and or slower aperture. This answered many questions. Is there a way to mark this thread/ question as resolved?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic