detail of sprout

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

colohank

detail of sprout

Post by colohank »

On a potato that's apparently been in the pantry too long. Nikon D810, reversed Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 at f/5.6 on PB-6 bellows, stack of 61 frames at 58 micron focus steps. Illuminated by two single-element LEDs, dominant right. about 4X. Image aligned and merged using Affinity Photo, with exposure tweaks in LR6.
Attachments
DSH-7726b (Custom).jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: detail of sprout

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting image, but as posted it seems very dark. Histogram shows nothing above 150 except for specular highlights.

Did you intend it lo look dark?

--Rik

colohank

Post by colohank »

Thanks for your comment, Ric. For whatever reason, I've always liked darker images, but I really need to rethink my preferences. I hope you'll agree that this is better.
Attachments
DSH_7787a (Custom).jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A lot of the preference depends on how the display is set. On my new laptop, at out-of-the-box "showroom brightness", the original version would look fine. But with the display cranked down so that white on the display matches white on the paper next to it, the reworked image is much better.

It's a bit like making a print for display. If you want it to pop, then print it dark and shine a bright light on it. With the extra light, it can look great; without the extra light, it's too dark.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic