jumping spider eyes

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ap

jumping spider eyes

Post by ap »

hi everyone
the problem of reflections in jumping spider eyes (esp. with globe diffusers) has been discussed here several times before. tried to deal with this in post processing (ps and lr) and came up with this. what do you all think? how does the processed image compare? does t look too artificial? does anyone have other methods of dealing with this issue?
thanks for reading, andy
2022-08-24-11.06.27 ZS retouched-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
2022-08-24-11.06.27 ZS retouched-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

ap

Re: jumping spider eyes

Post by ap »

sorry forgot technical info:
canon r5, mitutoyo 10x w/ raynox 150; approx 10x
flash x 3, 10 micron steps x approx 150

thx

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Something was bothering me about this image, but it took me a long time to figure out exactly what.

Finally I realized the problem: this image screams "blind spider" to me.

The reason is that, without retouching, by far the most likely way to get this image would be for the surfaces of the eyes to be matte.

But then the retinas of the spider would see only the average light intensity, no image, hence a (nearly) blind spider.

For a moment, I hoped that after figuring out the issue I would like the image better. Alas, when I come back to it the image still bothers me because the implication of matte corneas is so strong.

You may get some good ideas by taking a careful read through Reflections of reality (in the eyes of a jumping spider)".

The key to a real reflection that does not produce the "artificial pupil" effect is to use a large diffuser that is not clipped by the circular edge of the objective.

In the first post of that thread, my favorite appearance is the one shown in row 2, column 1 of the matrix of examples.

However, in the spirit of synthetic reflections, you might be more interested in the approach mentioned much farther down in the thread, where it says that:
in spherical panorama photography, there's a trick commonly used to hide the tripod head -- just replace it with a reduced copy of the rest of the panorama, properly warped to imitate a shiny ball. Some variation of that technique could probably be used to generate a realistic reflection to stick into the spider's eye, if one were inclined to go that direction
By using a sharp scene, properly mapped as if seen in a mirror ball of appropriate diameter, and darkened to correspond with about 5-10% reflection, I bet you could produce a very nice fake eye.

Retaining the reflections of the eyelashes will be tricky...

--Rik

ap

Post by ap »

thank you rik for your input. totally agree the retouched eyes somehow look artificial - i tried to make the reflections a bit sharper (see below) but still don't think the eyes appear natural. my ps skills are pretty rudimentary so i don't think i will be able to improve on the image (maybe others can) so back to the drawing board and differenT diffusers. thank you!
andy
2022-08-24-11.06.27 ZS retouched-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Andy,
Everything is better than eyes with lenses in them :-)
I also dealt with this problem and finally replaced the eyes:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 64#p275864
Best, ADi

ap

Post by ap »

thank you adi - your edited eyes look great!
did you cut and paste from a separate image?
thx andy

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Andy,
No, I created them with PS, but the shadow of the hair was taken from the original photo.
Best, ADi

ap

Post by ap »

Adi
could you share with us PS newbies how exactly you did that?
thx andy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic