Pollen grains

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

colohank

Pollen grains

Post by colohank »

On Cranesbill, a little wild Geranium. Nikon D810, Nikon Plan 10X infinity microscope objective, Raynox DCR-150 tube lens on Nikon PB-6 bellows. Illuminated by two Godox MF-12 compact flashes w/ diffusers. StackShot, programmed for focus increments of 15 microns.
Attachments
DSG_9271b.jpg

klevin

Re: Pollen grains

Post by klevin »

Interesting, but would it be better without the clever color lighting? Makes it hard for me to see what the true colors of the grains and other parts are.

colohank

Post by colohank »

No clever color lighting. Shot at 5600 degrees Kelvin.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I agree that the colors seem very blue. The cranesbills that I'm used to have bright yellow pollen, like what is shown at viewtopic.php?t=16582 . Perhaps you have a different kind of cranesbill, or perhaps the light is getting filtered by the surrounding petals, or perhaps something else. A quick look with a loupe under a desk lamp would let you check the true colors.

--Rik

colohank

Post by colohank »

I believe the hue in this instance is most affected by the color of the petals. In other samples, the pollen appears to be orange.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I believe the hue in this instance is most affected by the color of the petals. In other samples, the pollen appears to be orange.
The bright petals are acting as blue-purple light sources illuminating the shadowed pollen.

klevin

Post by klevin »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:48 pm
The bright petals are acting as blue-purple light sources illuminating the shadowed pollen.
Makes sense, and suggests that tinkering with the position of the flashes might make for a better picture? Not sure why the pollen grains on the left of the picture are illuminated partly by the petals, not directly by a diffused flash. Was one flash used as a backlight, behind the petals?

OTOH, maybe the OP experimented a bit and liked this shot the best? Interesting either way...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic