A Looong Story With A Lappet Moth Pt 2

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

A Looong Story With A Lappet Moth Pt 2

Post by AlP »

As I said before no fancy images just documentary snap shots. Anyway, not sure where I left off but 49 eggs layed, 49 caterpillars hatched and a couple of scrawny poplar trees with leaves for food. After being born the caterpillars measured 4mm.
6 Lappet moth caterpillar 4mm 1024.jpg
A week later, June 8, they are now averaging 7mm and eating poplar leaves.
7 Lappet moth caterpillars 7mm 1024.jpg
By June 15 they are now averaging 20mm and not getting much bigger.
8 Lappet moth caterpillar 20mm wk2 copy 1024.jpg
Something cute about caterpillar feet (prolegs). This one managed to stay still (5x, 12 steps at 80µm).
9 Lappet moth caterpillar feet copy 1024.jpg
Not sure why this one didn't "cocoon" on a leaf like everybody else. Anyway a casing which is 20mm long. One of the first to cocoon on June 30.
11 Lappet moth caterpillar casing 20mm copy 1024.jpg
The last to cocoon on July 4, 2020. Left, normal lighting, right, backlit to see inside the cocoon (1x, 10 steps at 600µm). Now I have 49 cocooned caterpillars. They are set inside a plastic container where they are going to spend the winter outside under the deck.
10 Lappet moth cocoon 1x 10 step 600µm 6mm copy 1024.jpg
Sorry, but there is more to the story...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: A Looong Story With A Lappet Moth Pt 2

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice!

In the closeup of the prolegs, it looks like literally one hair moved while you were shooting the stack. I'm looking near the right edge, a little above center, the sharply waved one.

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice set. I tried to stack some proleg shots a while ago and learned the hard way that caterpillars breathe, even when sitting still.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good! I had photographed either this or a related species a while ago. A strange caterpillar, as it is capable of pressing its hairs down tight to conceal its shadow while sitting on a twig. They magically disappear that way!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic