Poisonous Beetle

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Poisonous Beetle

Post by NikonUser »

One almost universal feature of beetles is that their forewings are hardened elytra that form a protective covering for much of the body; they are of no use
for flight. However, one family, the Lycidae, have soft forewings. These beetles are conspicuously coloured red or black and red. The colouring serves
as a warning to would-be predators. These beetles are highly toxic. Their forewings show a series of longitudinal ridges with many cross ridges, giving the
beetles the common name of net-winged beetles. They could just as well be called "antler beetles" or "helmet beetles".
The wing ridges are filled with blood and rupture readily, releasing toxic phenolic compounds and pyrazines. These beetles serve as a model for other beetles and moths (see Eisner, 2003, "For Love of Insects"). The poison-containing ridges are close together (width of 'cells' about 0.35 mm); almost guarantees that a predator would break open a ridge if it attacked the beetle.
Nikon D810, MPlan 5x, MPlan 20x, reversed 28 mm; Zerene. Caenia dimidiata
Attachments
15vii21 Lycid beetle dor.jpg
15vii21 Lycid beetle head.jpg
15vii21 Lycid beetle antenna.jpg
15vii21 Lycid beetle wing 20x.jpg
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

MarkSturtevant

Re: Poisonous Beetle

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very nice. We have a similar species down here, but it does not have the nifty branched antennae.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Adalbert

Re: Poisonous Beetle

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt038

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic