Snow Crystals

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fwwidall

Snow Crystals

Post by fwwidall »

Hi, I'm new around here and I thought I'd share some of my recent snow crystal images.

Snow crystals are pretty much the only macro photography I've been doing but after reading lots of articles here, and admiring the impressive and imaginative setups created by the board members I have lots of ideas to explore.

My basic setup is a wooden copy stand to which I attach my Pentax Auto Bellows and Pentax K3 DSLR. I have a Yongnuo RF603 flash trigger mounted on the K3. Currently I'm using an Amscope 4X 160/0.10 or Nikon 10X 160/0.25 Achromatic Finite Conjugate objective mounted on the bellows. The HDMI output from the K3 goes to an old monitor and I use live-view for focusing.

On the copy stand platform I have the base from a Zeiss Laboval4 microscope which I use for fine focus. I've attached a large cardboard disc to the fine focus knob to make minute adjustments easier. I collect the snow on a piece of glass from an old 8x10 picture frame and put it on the microscope base. I use a very expensive blue filter for colour (the lid from a can of Maxwell House coffee). Underneath the glass is an LED bulb I use to light the crystals when I'm focusing, and a Yongnuo YN560 flash for the actual shot.

I work in my unheated garage and require the temperature to be -6C or colder before I attempt any shots, or else the snowflakes sublimate too quickly. Occasionally I've tried stacking but generally they are single shots.

Anyway, here's a few of my recent images. Hope you like them.

My setup (in my very messy garage):
snowcatcher.jpg

joshmacro

Re: Snow Crystals

Post by joshmacro »

Kudos for shooting in such harsh conditions. Great images.

MarkSturtevant

Re: Snow Crystals

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting! These have a very interesting 'look'.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic