Nature subverted

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Nature subverted

Post by leonardturner »

2020-11-07-17.29.48 DMap 6635-6661CDenW2.jpg
The saffron crocus, Crocus sativus, recently broke cover in my area of the world, with beautiful and delicately colored flowers, but is as sterile as a mule. Unable to produce seeds because of its triploid status, with 24 chromosomes rather than the haploid 12, it appears to be the product of human intervention in the distant past and grows from corms (bulbs).

What it is able to do is to produce saffron; by weight, the world’s most valuable spice. This orange to yellow substance, ironically produced by the non-functioning sexual organs of the plants, is chemically complex with many volatiles and has been important to humankind for thousands of years. Usage has varied from medicinal to culinary to cosmetic, and adulteration—now defined as non-stigma content—was once punishable by death, and still affects the value.

2020-11-10-15.07.57 retouchedWCDen 7530-7538.jpg
The characteristic 3 styles are orange, arising from a short common base.

2020-11-08-15.10.15 retouched 6995-7123.jpg
The stigma is flared with multiform structures around the opening.

2020-11-08-14.41.52 retouchedCDen 6906-6976.jpg
One can easily imagine that a lot of the chemistry for which the plant is valued comes from these structures.

It is worth noting that Crocus sativus is commonly known as autumn crocus and has 3 stamens and 3 styles; Colchicum autumnale is also unfortunately called “autumn crocus” and is said to be poisonous. A totally different plant, it has 6 stamens and 1 style.

Leonard

Lou Jost

Re: Nature subverted

Post by Lou Jost »

Good photos and information!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great images and story!

I realize now that I've always been confused about where saffron comes from. Somehow I had gotten the idea that it was related to pollen -- the male parts of the flower -- but I see now that it's all from the female parts, and pollen is not involved at all. I have no doubt that I've read the phrase "styles and stigmas" numerous times over the years, and certainly I know what those words mean, but still somehow I never got the right picture formed inside my head. Yet another reminder of how easy it is to go astray!

--Rik

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks, Lou and Rik; this site has long been a source of photographic pleasure and intellectual stimulation for me personally.

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic