Black Widow

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Billy B

Black Widow

Post by Billy B »

Just when I thought photographing insects was over for the season, I discovered this little beauty hiding in the corner of my backyard fence. At first I considered killing here for photographic purpose's, then decided to build a small habitat out of a 3x3 inch plastic cube. This way I'm able photograph and study her through the winter months. I placed a small twig and a few flies in the habitat for her to feed on.
Standerd Photoshop enhancements were used as well as paintbrushing background to eliminate excessive webbing and scratches in plastic habitat.
Nikon D7100
Nikon 55mm Micro 3.5 lens w/Kiron 2x teleconverter.
Attachments
2020-11-05 16-30-53 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
Feeding on small fly or yellow jacket.
Feeding on small fly or yellow jacket.
2020-11-04-10-13-54-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
2020-11-05-15-47-01-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg

Olympusman

Re: Black Widow

Post by Olympusman »

When I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, Black Widows were a part of your daily life. At night we would go around our property with flashlights and spray them with WD40 to kill them. If I went out to out woodpile for fireplace wood I would always wear heavy gloves while gathering firewood. I now live in Pennsylvania. A few years ago I brought in the newspaper from the streetside box, and when I unrolled it in my kitchen --there was a Black Widow female.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Billy B

Post by Billy B »

Charming creatures aren't they! I understand their venon is 15 times stronger than a rattle snake. Luckily they don't inject that much when they bite. Very few humans die from them.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very nice. I like the warm highlights.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Billy B

Post by Billy B »

Thank you Mark. I appreciate that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic