Focus stacking live funnel web spiders

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Focus stacking live funnel web spiders

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Here are focus stacked pictures of a female, and then a male funnel web spider (Agelenopsis sp,) The female is the same one I had used to photograph spider 'eye shine' recently. Since she could stay in her webbed retreat while on the dining room table, she was quite happy to just sit for me while I took lots of pictures.
ImageFunnel web spider, focus stacked by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

The male was sitting in the web of a female over several days. I assumed they had already mated, so I borrowed him for a time for pictures. Although he lacked the security of a retreat, as long as I was careful working around him he was happy to just sit perfectly still. But if disturbed he was off in a flash and I would have to chase after him. The elaborate equipment on the pedipalps are used in sperm transfer to a female.
ImageMale funnel web spider, focus stacked by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Both pictures were made from a bunch of originals, developed as PMax stacks via the slabbing method. Many thanks again to R. Littlefield who helped clear up some confusion I had about slabbing in ZS!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Re: Focus stacking live funnel web spiders

Post by leonardturner »

Spectacular detail! I wonder what it would look like in stereo?

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic