Wulfenite with "haystack" Mimetite

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Geopressure

Wulfenite with "haystack" Mimetite

Post by Geopressure »

Wulfenite with "haystack" Mimetite on Quartz,
Rowley Mine, Maricopa Co, AZ

Stacked at 2X
FOV 1.0 cm

It's hard to beat the vibrant, gemmy Wulfenite from this mine. Interesting that the colors are so similar. A little larger than most micro minerals but I thought it deserved a shot...
Attachments
Rowley@2X_posting.jpg
Brad

jurkovicovic

Re: Wulfenite with "haystack" Mimetite

Post by jurkovicovic »

Geopressure wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:13 pm
I thought it deserved a shot...
Yeas, you are right, great shot :)
Wulfenite is quite clean.
canon EOS *

physicsmajor

Post by physicsmajor »

I'm again impressed with your work, Geopressure.

Do you have any insights about cleaning miniature mount specimens? I have an ultrasonic cleaner but always seem to have some specks leftover. Everything you show here and on your site appears absolutely pristine.

Geopressure

Post by Geopressure »

Thanks jurkovicovic and physicsmajor. Not sure I have any particular insight about cleaning specimens..ultrasonic cleaners are good but one must be careful since crystals can detach from the matrix at times. Naturally it helps to start with material that is fairly clean to begin with. I like to add a mild detergent with a little water softener to help loosen clay particles, then a final rinse with distilled water. Be careful about thermal shock. When I zoom in on this image there are certainly plenty of tiny mineral fragments left adhering to the Wulfenites. A lot of this seems to be firmly attached. Sometimes a few particles are good since they can help define a crystal face. There is always a brush tool in the photo editor to remove especially annoying debris. One of the worst things is cotton fibers from packing material..I avoid this like the plague.
Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic