2nd try

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

2nd try

Post by dhmiller »

Here's my second try with the enhanced MJKZZ clamp system and 10x objective. Composition is horrible because I don't yet have a precision specimen holder, but lighting seems decent and looks like there isn't much vibration in the rig (using a Stackshot on a gimbal on a tripod... I'll upgrade that as well - open to suggestions.) Image

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Nice image, good start :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: 2nd try

Post by rjlittlefield »

dhmiller wrote:lighting seems decent and looks like there isn't much vibration in the rig (using a Stackshot on a gimbal on a tripod..
I agree on both counts. In the background on the right side we can see a couple of dust trails. They have a classic smooth spiral shape that is typical of screw driven rail combined with apparently a bit of tripod sag or misalignment of the camera with respect to the rail. But they do not have any significant roughness like we'd expect if you were getting random vibrations that were frozen out by flash.

What was your lighting setup for this image? Flash? What type, and what power?

--Rik

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Rik - thanks for your note. I had no clue what the spirals were and thought they might be dust on the sensor, but good to know otherwise.
I bought a studio flash setup - Bowens Gemini 750W -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... light.html

- sort of on impulse, but actually because it was a closeout and 75% off normal price. Overkill for super macro, but I think I can make it work. I'm out of town for a few days, but will take a photo of the setup - quite unusual, I imagine - but for this shot when I return. I used two semi-opaque plastic boxes as diffusers and created sort of a "diffuser tunnel" with the specimen and objective within that space.

I would love to find an automated specimen holder with X, Y, Z and R control (with the precision of a Stackshot) and of course, complete 360 degree movement for the alligator clip attached to the (hypothetical) bullhead. Ever seen anything of that ilk?

Really struggling with positioning the specimens...
rjlittlefield wrote:
dhmiller wrote:lighting seems decent and looks like there isn't much vibration in the rig (using a Stackshot on a gimbal on a tripod..
I agree on both counts. In the background on the right side we can see a couple of dust trails. They have a classic smooth spiral shape that is typical of screw driven rail combined with apparently a bit of tripod sag or misalignment of the camera with respect to the rail. But they do not have any significant roughness like we'd expect if you were getting random vibrations that were frozen out by flash.

What was your lighting setup for this image? Flash? What type, and what power?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dhmiller wrote:Rik - thanks for your note. I had no clue what the spirals were and thought they might be dust on the sensor, but good to know otherwise.
The spirals are due to dust on the sensor, stretched out into trails by movement of the camera on the StackShot. See the explanation at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... hy_is_that .

--Rik

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Interesting. Will definitely give the sensor a good cleaning. Thanks for spotting that.
rjlittlefield wrote:
dhmiller wrote:Rik - thanks for your note. I had no clue what the spirals were and thought they might be dust on the sensor, but good to know otherwise.
The spirals are due to dust on the sensor, stretched out into trails by movement of the camera on the StackShot. See the explanation at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... hy_is_that .

--Rik

brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

This is not as good as physically cleaning the sensor, but there are software options for automating the removal of dust spots from images. I have only used it with canon dpp4, but found that there is a similar capability using the Nikon Capture image processing software (Image Dust Off).

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_ ... lang=en_SG

With the canon I simply update the dust reference occasionally so that I have the option to automate dust removal if necessary.
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Thanks, Brent. In this, a little touchup in PS would be adequate, given the placement of the "spirals." But I usually give the sensor a swab when needed, so hoping that will work as well.
Will look into the Nikon software, which I don't typically use.
Dennis
brentbristol wrote:This is not as good as physically cleaning the sensor, but there are software options for automating the removal of dust spots from images. I have only used it with canon dpp4, but found that there is a similar capability using the Nikon Capture image processing software (Image Dust Off).

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_ ... lang=en_SG

With the canon I simply update the dust reference occasionally so that I have the option to automate dust removal if necessary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic