Cyanide Millipede (Harpaphe haydeniana)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

frankw

Cyanide Millipede (Harpaphe haydeniana)

Post by frankw »

Some times referred to as Cyanide Millipedes, these guys have a very effective chemical defense system! Their high gloss exoskeleton is a challenge to light, this took many tries to get to this point, and there is still a lot of room for improvement, in my opinion!

MaxRockbin

Post by MaxRockbin »

Sometimes matte is overrated. If gloss looks good on a Ferrari, sometimes it's going to look good on a bug too. This photo looks pretty great!

This must've been a pretty deep stack...
If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

frankw

Post by frankw »

Thanks MaxRockbin,
appreciate your comments! I think I'd rather be making payments on my camera gear than a Ferrari :) (though I wouldn't mind a Toyota 4Runner...shiny or not!)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Very nice - yes that counts as shiny!
I wonder how crossed polarizers would work on that.

frankw

Post by frankw »

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment. I briefly considered the idea, but I was concerned about losing textural detail. That plus the fact that I don't have the necessary polarizers :D

abpho

Post by abpho »

From the cross polarized images I have seen the textural detail is phenomenal.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

abpho

Post by abpho »

I can't find the one I'm thinking off. I'll keep looking. Worst case you can try it out if you have the hardware.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cross-polarization can be helpful, but it can also be a disaster in terms of eliminating surface texture. See HERE for some discussion and examples.

--Rik

frankw

Post by frankw »

Thanks for the link Rik, I thought that I had read this, but now it all comes back to me :)
regards,
Frank

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Frank, wonderful image!

Regarding X-pol, which I often use: I think it's a mistake to think of cross-polarization as an all-or-nothing technique. It's more like a dimmer switch for surface reflection. For most images where I use it, I allow a bit of surface reflection to remain, while using enough X-pol to reveal what is beneath it.

In landscape photography, polarizing filters are often used best when rotated to somewhat less than full effect. Bodies of water, for example, can look dead with full polarization--they need a bit of sheen to look alive, but reveal most with something less than the full sheen that comes with no polarizing filter. So experienced landscape photographers have learned to (sometimes) rotate their polarizers a bit away from full effect. Cross-pol is similar, in my opinion: It is a very useful tool, but often used best when dialed back a bit from full effect.

--Chris

frankw

Post by frankw »

Thanks Chris, Just when you think you are starting up the learning curve, you find another slippery steep part! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic