Pill bug fun

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pontop

Post by pontop »

I needed a female-female adaptor for my setup (because I reversed the Raynox) and found that some step-down rings are threaded all the way through. Especially those that take small steps like 55-52 mm. Look carefully at the picture if you buy on fleabay - and be prepared to be let down because the picture is not always what you get.

/Bo

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

The problem I had with putting that adapter chain together was the threads on the "M42" extension tubes were out of spec and don't fit particularly well to any of my other M42 stuff. I was lucky in that I ordered four sets, and some pieces of some of the sets fit well.

The cone adapters and stuff fit well enough... most of the stuff from Jinfinance is usually pretty good.

Next time I order M42 adapters/extension tubes I'll have to pick some slightly more expensive ones, with the hopes that "you get what you pay for" is true in this case.

Chris, I should mention that I successfully edited the Zerene project file and fixed its alignment issues, and the stack (I'm still retouching it) turned out much better. I've gone back and noticed that this problem occurred in nearly all of my stacks that have stopped-down end slices, however it's much less obvious in those other cases. Something to keep in mind... the double image/ghosting may not be entirely the fault of perspective shifts caused by the optics themselves.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I thought the alignment problem was all the Aligner's fault, but even when alignments were turned off, or I tried to do it in Photoshop and then stack that frame in with alignments turned off, I found details had moved around relative to each other. At that point I'd forgotten about the perspective shifts, which Rik pointed out in a recent post.
I guess it depends on the lenses/images/iris positions.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Rylee Isitt wrote:The sequence of adapters that Rik figured out is always good for a chuckle, too.
Alas, I can claim very little credit for that part. The adapter chain originates at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=18145 by seta666. He had to explain to me how some of the parts worked.

--Rik

pontop

Post by pontop »

Rylee - beware that there are two different pitches used for 42 mm threads.
M42 is 1 mm pitch and T2 is 0.75mm. Filter threads are normally 0.75 mm pitch so expect stepping rings to have that pitch unless it is explicitely specified that it is 1 mm.

I found a 52mm to M42 step down ring with 1mm pitch last year (ebay item 400433618548), but that seller is not active anymore it seems.

/Bo

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Searching on
52mm M42 ring
returned a few adapters, of each way round.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic