How to keep a live baby spider still for focus stacking

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

How to keep a live baby spider still for focus stacking

Post by LordV »

I was trying to snap this baby jumping spider for quite a while, chasing it all over a wheelie bin lid. I tried to get it to settle on a flower I put there but it would not. I eventually gave up and used the flower to transport it to some plants. The spider had other ideas and decided to abseil away. I just managed to get it to land on the nearest plant which was a petunia. I then looked where it landed and it was still in the same place. Snipped off the bit of plant and the spider stayed still, took it in the house a shot a whole sequence of shots and the spider stayed still. As the ultimate test I got out my 10X objective lens on extension tube setup and used that hand held with zerene focus stacking. The spider stayed still !

After I finished I blew the spider onto a leaf and it scurried away wondering what just happened. I also was wondering what had happened and looked up petunias. Turned out this type is covered in tiny sticky hairs which explained the effect on the spider.

All shots focus stacked using zerene.

Cross-eye stereogram

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Olympusman

Stilling a spider ( or anything)

Post by Olympusman »

Ether available at your local auto parts store. Its usually packaged as a cold weather starter and is a blend of ether and alchol. Stay upwind or you'll get a buzz.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

abpho

Post by abpho »

Nice series Brian. Love that 10x.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

LordV

Post by LordV »

abpho wrote:Nice series Brian. Love that 10x.
Thanks Abpho
Brian V.

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Nice series. I certainly have never had luck getting jumpers to stay still. Orbweavers and wolf spiders I have been able to stack with out too much trouble though.

Based on your images, maybe I should start keeping a few roridula around for photography purposes ;)

LordV

Post by LordV »

TheLostVertex wrote:Nice series. I certainly have never had luck getting jumpers to stay still. Orbweavers and wolf spiders I have been able to stack with out too much trouble though.

Based on your images, maybe I should start keeping a few roridula around for photography purposes ;)
Thanks- I certainly did not understand what was going on at first- almost as if the spider was paralysed.
Brian v.

papilio

Post by papilio »

Fascinating discovery Brian!!

I hope I manage to get lucky enough when I try this to get images as wonderful as these, well done! :)
-- Michael

My flickr

Nikon D800E, Sigma 150mmOS Apo, Canon MP-E65, Mitutoyo Plan Apo 10X/NA0.28

LordV

Post by LordV »

papilio wrote:Fascinating discovery Brian!!

I hope I manage to get lucky enough when I try this to get images as wonderful as these, well done! :)
Thanks Michael - hope you are lucky !
Brian v.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic