Sunset moth with JML20x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Sunset moth with JML20x

Post by lauriek »

A few shots of the Sunset moth taken with the little JML 20x objective.

All shot with the JML20x and composited with Zerene, mix of PMAX/DMAP.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

And three more..

Again all shot with the little JML20x, stacks of 41, 55 and 60, all composited with Zerene PMAX this time.

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

These are really good! I have just taken some myself with my Olympus objectives, but am struggling to get my lighting correct as working with this large moth on the Olympus' stage is not a trivial task. How did you manage your illumination if I may ask?

flyer2o12

Post by flyer2o12 »

Absolutely beautiful images, as usual!! Wow!!

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks guys!

Waldo,

First of all I ended up snapping one rear wing from my subject to make it easier to manage on the stage, a bit nasty I know, obviously 'spoilt' the whole butterfly specimen but hey I only bought it to shoot it...

Regarding lighting I use macro twinflash which is jury rigged around the lens, together with a fairly carefully shaped ping pong ball diffuser - shaped to be about the right height for the lens so the top of the lens matches up fairly closely to the hole in the top of the diffuser, to maximise the wrap of the diffuser as close to the lens as possible to minimise the 'dark spot' or in this case 'dark stripe'. My current diffuser has a tiny gap around the lens which I 'fill in' with a tiny doughnut shaped piece of paper.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic