My First Image From My 20mm Bellows Lens

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

My First Image From My 20mm Bellows Lens

Post by Harold Gough »

It was decades befoe I could afford an Olympus Zuiko 20mm auto bellows macro lens. I finally obtained one several years ago, my particular ambition being to photograph (on film) springtails and other tiny wildlife.

Until today, I have never had it on a camera. Then my wife brought me some irresistable material, which no other lens would sufficiently cope with, some black-banded aphids on an ivy leaf geranium (pelargonium). It was early evening and the sun was getting lower, shadows advancing rapidly. It had to be 'quick and dirty' photography, no time for exact technique.

The lens was mounted on my Olympus OM 65-116 telescopic tube, at various extensions but mostly at about 70mm. I placed the camera on my Kennett (aka Benbo) tripod and roughly focused. I then moved and rotated the plant stem in with my fingers to get the aphid (about 1.2mm long) in focus, resting my hand on a slightly unsteady support.

Olympus PEN micro 4/3 EP-2, OM 20mm f2 bellows lens (at f5.6?) 1/30 ISO 800, evening sunlight.

Image uncropped: Edit: Image reworked slightly and reposted 28 April:

As it was always my intention to use flash for such magnifications, but cannot presently, I feel quite pleased with this first result.

I have tried to identify the aphid species but got nowhere with it. Does anyone know which it is?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic