Stelis (Pleurothallis) mystax miniature orchid!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Neottia_bifolia

Stelis (Pleurothallis) mystax miniature orchid!

Post by Neottia_bifolia »

Stelis mystax close 1 retouch draft 2-Edit.jpg
Hey y'all! I'm a (somewhat) new user here and wanted to post this photo of a miniature orchid I recently finished up editing (for now). Much nicer quality tiff can be seen on my also new Flickr-
https://flickr.com/photos/186031494@N08 ... datetaken/. I have many other photos on there too which I may upload a thematic selection of a few of my favorites here at a future date if that's allowed. If you happen to be on Flickr, a comment or fave or whatever you like is definitely appreciated!

Hopefully I've followed the image posting guidelines.

Photo details- This is a stack of 53 images, shot on my Olympus OMD EM-5 III with 60mm M.zuiko lens at ISO 200, f4.5, 1/30 second. The magnification was at about 1:1.3. Lit with my LED terrarium light above and two external Ulanzi LED lights to fill in. Stacked in Zerene, Dmap retouched with Pmax slabs and individual source images to get rid of the moire-like effect of changing light in background without adding noise of Pmax. Some small artifacts edited out in photoshop. Exposure etc edited in Lightroom (classic!).

Please let me know any constructive criticism on exposure, composition, lighting etc!

More detailed botanical discussion-
This orchid is super interesting to me for a number of reasons. (Brief note- Stelis mystax is accepted name according to Kew, but I'm not familiar with the discussion on where this species rightfully belongs.) As with many orchids, the flower morphology is very interesting- the lateral sepals (two long pointed parts pointing diagonally downward and outward) are three-edged and seem nearly triangular in cross-section. The lip is an interesting spoon shape that seems appressed to the base of the lateral sepals before they diverge outward in angle (not sure if the sepals are connate along their base or simply close to each other as I didn't look at back of flower). The lip also seems to have some sort of liquid, sheen, or coating along its base (hypochile?) and especially along the long, thin sort of slit/pit- a few drops can be seen along the left side of the lip if you look closely in the Flickr image. Could serve to attract pollinators in some way? I watered the plants the day before but all other parts of the plant were dry. Lastly, the lateral petals converge to form an interesting almost tube-like shape seemingly immediately below the column/anther cap. The anther cap seems to have an interesting shape though not necessarily unique and I have no idea what the column looks like as I haven't dissected it or anything. Most of these traits seem fairly unique among Pleurothallids I'm familiar with.
Last edited by Neottia_bifolia on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lou Jost

Re: Stelis (Pleurothallis) mystax miniature orchid!

Post by Lou Jost »

Welcome! As a fellow orchid lover I look forward to seeing more of these. That one looks very good.

Those shiny spots on many pleurothallid orchids are usually completely dry, not real droplets. The orchid tricks the fly to think that these are edible droplets of something....

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice images, interesting information!

Your first try with "[img]file: etc" could not possibly work. It is referencing a file on your own computer, not in any publicly accessible place.

For the other images, it looks like you did the right things to get them uploaded to the photomacrography.net server as attachments to your post. Now you just need to learn how to use the "Place inline" button to get them displayed interspersed with your text, instead of shown as attachments at end. See https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41917 for discussion of how to do that.

--Rik

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Nice image .. details and color are very nice

Neottia_bifolia

Lou-
Thank you! I look forward to posting more. This is actually Simon (from SIT program way back and joined for some expeditions in the preserves around a year ago, including the somewhat failed first attempts at focus stacking of the Teagueias!) Figured I might get a reply from you, fun to connect on here :)

And that totally makes sense that the shiny spots probably aren't actually liquid- something about the way they sat perfectly seemed not quite right. Sneaky pleurothallids as usual- tricked the insects and a human!

Rik-
Thank you and thanks for the explanation on how to include images in-line. Fixed and will use going forward! And that totally makes sense regarding the link I tried to use- I figured it wouldn't work but wanted to try just to see- my ignorance of computers showing through very strongly!!

Marc-
Thank you! Also, not relevant to this thread but I really enjoyed seeing your photo and story of the pygmy pipes/Monotropsis, I love mycoheterotrophs and it makes me want to go down and explore/botanize Florida even more than I already did!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Simon, how nice to see you here! The miniature orchid world is small, and I suspected this might be from someone I knew. That's a great stack. I'm very glad you are going deeper into this field! I look forward to seeing more.

Neottia_bifolia

It's great to be here Lou and I look forward to posting and learning more! I definitely have some questions that I'll get around to posting at some point. I've enjoyed getting more into this world and being able to see and understand the orchids (and other creatures) better through stacking and the detail it captures. And I appreciate the compliment- means a lot coming from you : ) Still dreaming of the next time I get to explore the cloud forest down there haha

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting, and welcome aboard!
One option for sharing pictures from Flickr is to use their Share tool. This requires fewer steps, and its how i do it now whenever possible.
To share a picture, you open it, and click on the Share button which is the curved arrow on the lower right. The pop-up window provides some tabs for various settings. I use the BBCode tab. This offers different sizes. One should be careful that the picture is not too big. Copy and paste the long url line into the text here, whereever you want the picture to appear. The Preview tool here can show you what it looks like before you click Submit.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic