Solitary Bee

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

sonyalpha

Solitary Bee

Post by sonyalpha »

I tested a home-made flash diffuser/reflector today...........it is a big improvement on the crumpled cooking foil hood held on with an elastic band:

This shot proves that it works:

Comments welcome:

sonyalphaImage
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Hi there and welcome!

A nice picture, obviously your diffuser works well!

Looks like you've photographed a male Osmia bicornis here, obviously refueling nectar on a Muscari. These are out in our garden too at the moment.

If you don't know already, you might be interested that one can easily provide nest sites for this bee species and other hymenopterans (and their parasites) by manufacturing a "hotel hymenoptera" from hard wood blocks with drilled holes - shouldn't be a challenge for "Geppetto" :wink:.

The blocks should be put up in a sunny spot like a wall or fence facing S, SW or W with a board ontop as rain shelter for the end grain.
Left out there the whole year round such a "hotel hymenoptera" is a good place for observing some interesting insect behaviour, and for photographing it without having to bend down, or to get down on one's knees, if the wood blocks are put up at a convenient height that is. :)

--Betty

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Very beautiful and colorful, really a clean shot! :smt023

I got'ta try that blocks of wood with drilled holes Betty. Think they would attract Ichneumons or just bees? Either or that is a splended idea. :D

sonyalpha

Post by sonyalpha »

Thank you Ken............your encouraging comment is just the kind of motivation that I require to improve further:

I am very new to macro photography.........I love the challenge of capturing nature's small critters as naturally as possible:

I have been blown away by the amazing stacked shots to be found on this site; but I don't think that I will be going down that route........I can only admire those with the patience and equipment to do it:

My equipment is kept to my Sony Alpha 300 set up and my old eyes.....I might have a go with using a tripod soon but only if I can find a suitable still subject:

I too will be drilling a large oak block later today, my back garden faces due south:

sonyalpha
Retired but not old in spirit:

Fairly new to photography........keen to learn:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic