Hop, step and jump

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daft_biker

Hop, step and jump

Post by daft_biker »

A close up of Iassus lanio shot a few weeks back:

A common UK harvestman that I forget the name of :oops:

I managed to find a couple of jumping spiders yesterday though!
Evarcha falcata I think but even in summer the only place I see them is down at a local butterfly farm - I didn't expect to see them still running about in December. Spiders seem to love it in the heated greenhouse and even at this time of year is filled with native species I struggle to find in the woods.
Cheers,
Andy

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Hey Andy, pretty cool shots. Can you tell me what a harvestman is?
It looks like a spider but it only has two eyes from what I can see ( :lol: sorry, that was a bit lame :D )

Cheers
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

daft_biker

Post by daft_biker »

missgecko wrote:Hey Andy, pretty cool shots. Can you tell me what a harvestman is?
It looks like a spider but it only has two eyes from what I can see ( :lol: sorry, that was a bit lame :D )

Cheers
Thanks....harvestmen are aliens from another world :P

Just kidding! Aye, they are like spiders but they only have 2 eyes(usually) and the body looks like it's all one piece. They usually have very long thin legs too.

Have loads more on my flickr....the ones with the spikes round the eyes are my favourite ones....
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=harvest ... 5979%40N00
Cheers,
Andy

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Interesting viewpoint on the harvestman Andy - the species in your original posting is Dicranopalpus ramosus btw.

Bruce :)

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Nice photos Andy, good composition on the harvestman... It almost looks like a crab of some kind in that first post.

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Sooooo, harvestmen are like daddy-long-legs?? And what with daddy-long-legs having such a tiny body, do they have eight eyes or are they the same as harvestmen which only have two. They're pretty fine looking and the last photo you sent in made me think of E.T. :D
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

LordV

Post by LordV »

Lovely series of shots :)

Sam - harvestman have only two eyes and are in the opilione family of arachnids (not the same one as spiders). They are called daddy long legs sometimes but so are crane flies and another real spider often found in the smallest room in the house.

Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

daft_biker

Post by daft_biker »

Thanks folks :)
missgecko wrote:....the last photo you sent in made me think of E.T. :D
I called that one Take Me To Your Leader.....it's one of my favourite shots :D
Cheers,
Andy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic