What are these ladybird pupae doing?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Iainp

What are these ladybird pupae doing?

Post by Iainp »

I spotted these ladybird pupae (Coccinella 7-punctata) last week, and I've been searching around on the Net trying to find out what they were doing.

Any ideas please?

There were lots of them on this metal railing and 3 pairs seemed to be connected:

As I got in closer, I noticed that the "front" one would rear up every 10 or 20 seconds, and would then immediately drop down again:

This behaviour carried on for at least 15 minutes, and it seemed to me the yellow substance was increasing over this time.

To begin with I thought they might be fighting or even eating each other but the one at the back only seemed interested in eating the yellow substance.

When they finally separated, the pupa continued the behaviour:

There were lots of adults around too, and this one seemed to be eating yellow material too:

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

One on the left eating the one on the right I think. Happens when they run out of other things like aphids to eat, which they will if there is a population explosion. And yes adults will eat larvae too under these circumstances.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Thanks for quick response. I should have come to the forum first and saved myself a week on Google :)

So the yellow stuff is its innards is it? And the rearing up is the poor thing trying to get away? It appeared "stuck" to the railing though; is that just because it was partly eaten and unable to move?

It seems strange that all 3 pairs were lined up in exactly the same way (head to tail) unless that's just the optimum angle to move in and cannibalize one of your siblings?!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

They (larvae) may be trying to eat each other:

Unless I am mistaken this is the species:

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recogni ... nction.htm

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Oh yes larvae, not pupae :oops:

The adults are 7spot so I assumed the larvae would be the same species but I didn't check.

tpe

Post by tpe »

After a population explosion even the adults change their behaviour. On a recent trip to the beach the family were attacked by hordes of marauding ladybirds, many people had to leave the beach, it actually does hurt when they bite, and they don't stop eitehr, if they think it is tasty they just keep on chewing.

Great shots and a real treat to see this behaviour.

tim

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Thanks.
I didn't realise they bit people too. We were always taught that they were such gentle little creatures!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic