Gray Tree Frog

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Gray Tree Frog

Post by Marcepstein »

Another interesting little frog not often seen is Copes gray tree frog (Hyla chrysoscelis) or gray tree frog (Hyla versicolor); their range overlaps in the southeastern US but are indistinguishable in the field except by call (according to South Carolina DNR). Some articles list tree frogs in the genus Dryophytes, however, they are listed under Hyla by SC DNR. They are aquatic breeders and arboreal adults. They can vary their skin color from grey to light green depending on habitat. A couple of distinguishing features are the yellow inner thigh area (last image) and the white spot under the eye. The images were taken with a Canon 1DM4 and ef 100mm f2.8 macro lens. Thanks for looking.
Gray-Tree-Frog_2330-37.jpg
Gray-Tree-Frog-2216-22.jpg
Gray-Tree-Frog_2329-49.jpg
Gray-Tree-Frog-2204-2211.jpg

Ramos Kenneth D

Re: Gray Tree Frog

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

In the last image, the tree leaves really give one a good idea of its size. I have "peepers" around my home mostly but with the small creek flowing through the hollow down below, I would assume there are possibly others. The Spring peepers aren't very big either but their singing en masse is much appreciated. Nice shots!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I learned long ago that handling one of these does require washing your hands afterwards. If that is not done, then a touch to the face will result in a prolonged burning sensation.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

If you've ever heard the sound of hundreds of frogs in chorus, you'll remember the experience. It's really amazing just to hear spring peepers in lieu of traffic. And Mark is right, the Gray frog has some-sort of toxicity in the skin excretions that can cause issues. Good point.

I knew there were a few frog admirers out there! Thanks for the comments

Sippyjug

Post by Sippyjug »

Nicely done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic