Tiny predators

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Tiny predators

Post by MarkSturtevant »

The previous Fall I had a very fat marbled orb weaver (Araneus marmoreus) in the garden. She must have laid an egg sac because I found this mass of hatchlings the following spring. They stayed there for several days. They would always scatter when approached, but later they would re-group into a tight mass. I love all those little baby bottoms!
ImageSpiderlings by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageSpiderlings by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

In the same time frame I was keeping several Chinese mantis oothecae (Tenodera sinensis) on the front porch. As the weather warmed, I would regularly check on them in the hopes of photographing their hatching, but I was always too late (I think they tend to hatch before sunrise). But this one was still in the process. When they emerge, they must shed a transparent membrane before they can fully extend their legs and elongate their prothorax.
ImageEmerging mantids by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Here is a close up, where you can see some are not out of their hatchng membrane. The bulging heads are used to push out of the membrane. Truth be told, I believe they hatched earlier but became stuck.
ImageEmerging mantids by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

A hatchling on a tiny mushroom.
ImageMantid hatchling by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

And here is a tiny (but adult) wolf spider carrying her egg sac. Who knew that wolf spiders could be this small? I don't know the species.
ImageLittle mama wolf by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Thank you for looking!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Ramos Kenneth D

Re: Tiny predators

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

The mantis on the mushroom looks as though it came right from a late 60's vinyl album cover. :smt028 Great shots, all of 'em! 8)

Marcepstein

Re: Tiny predators

Post by Marcepstein »

Great images !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic