Lichens, fertile structures

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ramos Kenneth D

Lichens, fertile structures

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

Most of us know that lichens are composite organisms. That is, they consist of a mycobiont (a fungus) and a phyto- or photobiont (an algae or cyanobacteria). Only a few that I know of have common names, the rest require a scholarly sort of individual to pronounce that which Linnaeus et al., have blessed us with. We often find them on a number of things such as rocks, fence posts, stone walls and buildings, gravestone or markers, and maybe on grandma and grandpa if we should pull out a good hand lens and look hard enough. :D What I show here are the reproductive surfaces of what are known as apothecia (pl) or apothecium (sl). Let not the circular borders fool you. These are taken with a 105mm macro with a 2.5X diopter screwed to the front lens. Why I chose a circular border, I don't really know, I just thought it would look nice for a change. Oh, and by the way the smooth tan, circular surfaces are where the spores are produced, they are known as the hymenium. Of course lichens may spread in other ways as well, some by fragmentation. :D
Attachments
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3625.JPG

Scarodactyl

Re: Lichens, fertile structures

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'm likin' it. They are such curious structures at any scale.

Ramos Kenneth D

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:31 pm
I'm likin' it. They are such curious structures at any scale.
Indeed they are. Every time I venture out into these mountains and foothills here in Western North Carolina, I come back with a handful in my pocket and several photos, if not more, of those that captured my attention. Thanks :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice images!
Ramos Kenneth D wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 pm
Most of us know that lichens are composite organisms. That is, they consist of a mycobiont (a fungus) and a phyto- or photobiont (an algae or cyanobacteria).
Interesting side note...

The old belief was one fungus plus one photobiont.

But recent analysis has shown that many lichens have a third component, another fungus in the form of single-celled yeast.

Differences in the yeast component can make big differences in the lichen even when the same filamentous fungus is in play.

See for example https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2016/Q3/yeast-emerges-as-hidden-third-partner-in-lichen-symbiosis.html .

--Rik

Ramos Kenneth D

All that was back in 2016 I gather. Boy, do I feel out of touch. :lol: Interesting though however and thank you for the link Rik. :D I knew that some basidiomycetes, aside from ascomycetes, had the capability of forming a symbiosis to form a lichen but there was at that time, no mention of yeasts playing a role in lichen development. Could be as the article mentions, the reason for unsuccessful lab cultures to form lichen thalli. Especially as a defense mechanism. I developed a deep interest for lichens years back before I stumbled across the plasmodial slime molds and developed an even deeper interest with them but occasionally papers and research on lichens still capture my attention. As of late my thoughts as to a symbiosis between lichen components has been altered somewhat by the thought of controlled parasitism by the fungal partner that has been suggested by a number of researchers. :-k

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting. And yes, slime molds are just weird and wonderful.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Ramos Kenneth D

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:45 pm
Very interesting. And yes, slime molds are just weird and wonderful.
IRT the slime molds. I've been raising or culturing my own now for the past few years. Though one would not normally consider it, they can be quite surprising and intelligent, considering they have no obvious sensory apparatus. Thanks Mark :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic