Baldfacced Hornet

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Baldfacced Hornet

Post by Marcepstein »

I used a Canon 180mm macro to take the image below. I was able to drive up pretty close to the active live hornet's nest. I rigged my camera and lens through the vehicle window with protective plastic so only the lens was outside. The hornets were not pleased that I was this close. I was able to get a few good images but the hornets soon habituated to my presents and only a few guards came out. Comments appreciated.
Hornets.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Baldfacced Hornet

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is cool! I too would be nervous getting close. And yet I know that I've walked very close to hidden nests tucked in a tree.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Thanks for the note. They apparently abandon the hive in winter and no longer occupy it at that time.

Marc

Ramos Kenneth D

Post by Ramos Kenneth D »

These things hit hard and sting deep, or so it feels like. I was riding my Triumph Bonneville down the interstate at better than 55 mph when one of these went down the front of my shirt. I immediately got into the emergency lane and began disrobing to the curious delight of passing onlookers. The afterwards deceased hornet left a very red, swollen and painful reminder of our encounter. :shock:

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Ouch!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic