Grasshopper

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dunksargent

Grasshopper

Post by dunksargent »

My knowledge of grasshoppers is lacking — especially as regards their variations / colours within species. I suspect this specimen could be a Common Field Grasshopper Chorthippus brunneus.
A positive ID would be appreciated if an expert can please advise - thank you.
Specimen landed on my plywood board used to avoid disturbing ground nesting Ivy Mining Bees' nest entrances. Habitat was Swaddywell Nature Reserve Peterborough UK rough cliff-side slope's sandy limestone soil terrain with mixed grasses.

Grasshopper-PF.jpg

Leica CL APS-C digital compact / Canon FD 200mm Macro lens / Leitz Elpro VIIb 0.75 diopter achromatic c/u lens. ISO 1600 f11 1/200; camera/lens tripod mounted.

Manual focus Canon FD Macro lens was purchased in 1984 when used with Canon SLR film cameras for insect imaging. Yesterday was the first attempt at using the lens with the recently acquired Leica CL. Lens adapted via URTH Canon FD to 'Leica L-mount' adapter. The 200mm focal length enables a very comfortable lens to subject distance; lens focuses to 1:1 on FF format. Use of the vintage mid-1960s Leitz Elpro supplementary c/u achromat was an experiment to 'get a little closer' and 'fill the frame'. Image is slightly cropped;

BW, dunk
And now for something completely different.

MarkSturtevant

Re: Grasshopper

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A handsome insect! I am not familiar with grasshoppers over there, but it sure does look like the right ID.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic