Mining Bees

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Mining Bees

Post by Dalantech »

Went looking for something to point the camera at and found some female Mining Bees foraging for pollen in Dandelions. Fortunately it was windy last weekend and the breeze masked the vibration that I caused when I grabbed onto the stem of the flowers. In both cases the bee was turning away from the camera looking to get away from me, but since I had the flower's stem in my fingers I turned it to keep the critter looking into the camera. Also a little cool both days, and when the sun went behind the clouds the drop in temperature slowed them down. Maybe a little counter intuitive to look for something the shoot on a windy, partly cloudy, day but those are actually some good conditions to shoot in.

Tech Specs: Canon 90D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. Shutter and ISO set to expose the sky in the background.

Saturday:

ImageForaging Mining Bee V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sunday:

ImageForaging Mining Bee VI by John Kimbler, on Flickr

As always, when shooting semi-active critters, there were a lot of deleted frames.

MarkSturtevant

Re: Mining Bees

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Excellent as always!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic