Anystis - Whirligig Mite

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sym P. le

Anystis - Whirligig Mite

Post by Sym P. le »

I'm gaining confidence in video creation/editing and revisited a sequence of images I took back in 2015. They were always intended to be viewed as a loop so I finally created one.

The subject was an Anystis sp. which I found on a collection of tires (in white plastice bags) left laying outdoors. They usually run around frantically so I was curious when it stopped and I had an angle on it. I keep a solid mini tripod attached to my Canon G11 so I sat down by the tires and propped the camera on my leg and against the tires. I could adjust focus by leaning harder on the tire and I tried to find the mouthparts. The flash bounced off the background and back to the lens, a technique I've found to give interesting results. The lens attachment is a hack from a Super 8 video camera which gives about 6-7X macro and I keep the camera lens focused at infinity (which may also be why the hacked lens works) and set to f11. I have never concerned myself with the vignetting or sagital astigmatism in the background as I was only interested in exploring and posting on bugguide which only requires 560 pixels.

The chelicerae on these mites have a regressesed digit so the lower digit appears as a large tooth.

I have yet to learn how to control file size on animated GIF's so you'll have to go over to Flickr for the video where you'll see this little critter sucking up a drop of fluid. I was shooting an image every four or five seconds and the six image scene covers a total time span of 22 seconds. I hope you enjoy.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1191181
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60839073@ ... otostream/

Anystis.2.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Anystis - Whirligig Mite

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good. those things cannot be easy to photograph. I think they are predators / scavengers.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Sym P. le

Re: Anystis - Whirligig Mite

Post by Sym P. le »

Definitely a chance encounter. I had no idea that it was ingesting the droplet but thought I might just catch some definition of the mouth parts. I was quite elated that the vignette was so clearly discernible.

The mite was likely cleaning up after a meal as there were many springtail present. The last image posted on bugguide vaguely reveals some prey and was taken prior to the sequence (127 images to be exact). I can't imagine this behavior being frequently captured.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic