Lazy Man's Close-up

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Lazy Man's Close-up

Post by AlP »

Bored one day or more of "just curious", I thought I'd try my Canon 500mm lens with a 36mm extension tube for some close-up photography. The extension tube dropped the minimum focus of the lens down to about 15 feet. First image full frame.
bee - 1.jpg
Secondly, shooting at 1/2500, f10 at ISO 10,000 on the Canon 1Dx I wanted see see how well Topaz Denoise worked. Very impressed. Cropped result below.
bee - 2.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Lazy Man's Close-up

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That does a good job!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A while back I had informally placed a Raynox diopter in front of my 100-400mm zoom lens, and was pleased to see that it seemed to work quite well. I did not try it "seriously" since I have a macro lens, but both the Raynox 150 and the Raynox250 supported very close focus with the big zoom lens. It may be the case that you could do the same with your long lens. It is convenient to quickly attach a Raynox lens when you want a close up lens.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Post by AlP »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:59 pm
A while back I had informally placed a Raynox diopter in front of my 100-400mm zoom lens, and was pleased to see that it seemed to work quite well. I did not try it "seriously" since I have a macro lens, but both the Raynox 150 and the Raynox250 supported very close focus with the big zoom lens. It may be the case that you could do the same with your long lens. It is convenient to quickly attach a Raynox lens when you want a close up lens.
The Canon 500mm f4 only supports rear drop in filters. Thr Raynox would have to be about 13cm for the front. When summer comes back I'll try all three extension tubes and see what happens. It might b good for dragonflies in flight. There is an area not far from here where millions hatch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic