Another Critter Mix Part VII

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part VII

Post by Dalantech »

This is the same Bumblebee that my son Eddy found. It hung out on my patio overnight and I fed and photographed it the next day. Later on in the afternoon it finally got warm enough for the critter to fly off.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 1.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. I injected Agave nectar into the Daisy the Bumblebee is feeding on.

ImageFeeding Bumblebee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I was a little surprised to find a pair of mating flies on a Dandelion in late October. At least he bought her a flower :)

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMating Flies by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I shot this female Scolia hirta wasp as it was climbing onto a Dandelion. Cool, partly cloudy, weather made for some really good shooting conditions. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in November of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT, E-TTL metering, -2/3 FEC. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageWasp II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I did not get many images of this Gecko on a leaf, but it did sit still long enough for me to get a few frames at twice life size.

ImageGecko on a Leaf II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

A group of Sweat Bees set up camp in one of my Geranium flowers. They like to sleep under the leaves in groups, and the plant seems to offer them some good protection. I checked on them after a heavy thunderstorm and they seemed to be OK. They are called Sweat Bees because some of them are attracted to the minerals in your sweat. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in August of 2021.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageResting Sweat Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

There wasn't enough wind so this Sweat Bee felt me grab onto the stem of the Sourgrass Flower that she was foraging in and climbed to the top of it to investigate. But when she did she was facing away from me. So I carefully turned the flower so that the critter was facing the camera. Gotta be gentle, cause I didn't want to spook the bee into taking off and I didn't want to damage the flower. I managed to get the shot and leave the Sourgrass unharmed.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic